Do motorcycle hitch carriers work?

RCN4HIM
5/7/2015 10:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2015 10:26pm
I bought the Harbour Freight hitch hauler in 2009 and have used it at least once a week during the riding season mid week on the rear of different vehicles when we don't need our trailer... Did need a few cheap strengthening mods over the years but still going strong and would trust it to go across the country!
MBR
5/15/2015 3:51am
Yeah, saw this a few years back somewhere in SoCal...

The Shop

copsey
5/15/2015 6:25am
MBR wrote:
Yeah, saw this a few years back somewhere in SoCal...[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/15/91087/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

The guy in the blue truck just hates quads.
Bramlett321
5/15/2015 8:00am

I had this one built years ago and have never had an issue.
IWreckALot
5/15/2015 8:11am
MBR wrote:
Yeah, saw this a few years back somewhere in SoCal...[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/15/91087/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

This was always my biggest fear when hauling my dirt bike on my SUV.
IWreckALot
5/15/2015 8:11am
Rick M. wrote:
Motorcycle hitch's are right up there with financing toys (motorcycles). If your new dirtbike from the dealer is on a payment plan...Pry shouldn't have a dirtbike...
Motorcycle hitch's are right up there with financing toys (motorcycles). If your new dirtbike from the dealer is on a payment plan...Pry shouldn't have a dirtbike. If you can't afford to have truck or trailer to haul your dirtbike around...Pry shouldn't have a dirtbike.
lumpy790 wrote:
I purchased the rack jack when I wanted to put a cap on my silverado ..... plus if you bothered to look in my picture and...
I purchased the rack jack when I wanted to put a cap on my silverado ..... plus if you bothered to look in my picture and you will see the factory hauler next to the truck with the rack jack .... plus I have a Accord that pulls a trailer.

3 ways to haul trumps your ..............
His logic isn't exactly sound. . .
IWreckALot
5/15/2015 8:17am
Squishy wrote:
So to those using the hitch\receiver with a SUV; where do you put the gas can? I have the metal VP cans but seems they still...
So to those using the hitch\receiver with a SUV; where do you put the gas can? I have the metal VP cans but seems they still have a strong aroma when they are in the vehicle...
I was about to weld a shelf between the bike and bumper to strap the gas can down to. My concern was having the gas back there and if there were a wreck in the right circumstances, it could explode.

I ended up buying a truck just before I decided to do that.
lumpy790
5/15/2015 1:06pm
Any other old schoolers here that used to have the hoops that slid on metal bumpers?
ToolMaker
Fantasy
1272nd
6/5/2015 6:29am
Ebs wrote:
Weld a nut to the inside of carrier tubing where the hitch pin passes through. Use a bolt instead of a hitch pin. Knock the threads...
Weld a nut to the inside of carrier tubing where the hitch pin passes through. Use a bolt instead of a hitch pin. Knock the threads off the bolt so it passes though the hitch pin holes (and the nut you welded inside the tube), leave a few threads at the head of the bolt. Now you can tighten up the bolt to the nut and it will pull the tubing of the carrier to the side up against the inside wall of the tubing of the hitch receiver.

This is how the Ultimate MX hauler comes, not much sway.

Internet pic:

How do you like your carrier? Is it just the 2 bolts over the foot pegs that hold the bike in place?
Does it seem secure?
Thanks, TM
RMT
6/5/2015 7:04am
lumpy790 wrote:
Any other old schoolers here that used to have the hoops that slid on metal bumpers?
Yes, we had them when i was a kid. Trucks didnt have extended cabs back then and when more than three of us were going to the races, sometimes we took my Moms station wagon and used those things. Memories.
Paw Paw 271
6/5/2015 8:59am
lumpy790 wrote:
Yes, I did, but that was back when a bumper was strong and not plastic like today.

Paw Paw
MaicoJC1
6/5/2015 9:11am
Yeah, they work.

I've been using the Add-a-bike carrier for 6 years. Used a Ford Expedition and now a Toyota FJ Cruiser to haul heavy ass post vintage mud covered (245 pound plus mud) big bore Husqvarnas and Maicos to and from races all over the US. Never, ever had one problem. Ever. Check it out in the link below.

http://www.addabike.com/ABHOMEPAGE.html

Squishy
6/5/2015 11:35am
I use the Mototote... It is good, I like it... Getting the the bike in/out of a lifted truck solo became a pain with my bad knee... This I can manage without issue. Like others though, that first trip was a stress fest... After that it was all good.

Jarrod458
6/5/2015 1:55pm

Works good! I always put that strap over the seat though
jgmxdad251
6/5/2015 2:27pm
Ebs wrote:
Weld a nut to the inside of carrier tubing where the hitch pin passes through. Use a bolt instead of a hitch pin. Knock the threads...
Weld a nut to the inside of carrier tubing where the hitch pin passes through. Use a bolt instead of a hitch pin. Knock the threads off the bolt so it passes though the hitch pin holes (and the nut you welded inside the tube), leave a few threads at the head of the bolt. Now you can tighten up the bolt to the nut and it will pull the tubing of the carrier to the side up against the inside wall of the tubing of the hitch receiver.

This is how the Ultimate MX hauler comes, not much sway.

Internet pic:

ToolMaker wrote:
How do you like your carrier? Is it just the 2 bolts over the foot pegs that hold the bike in place? Does it seem secure...
How do you like your carrier? Is it just the 2 bolts over the foot pegs that hold the bike in place?
Does it seem secure?
Thanks, TM
Used one of these 3 weeks ago. Its just two bolts, they are like j bolts that hook into your foot pegs. It also comes with a gas can holder that you don't see in the picture! It also has a piece of metal inside the hitch with a nut welded to it, so you can drive a bolt through and not a hitch pin it keeps it from vibrating! I was freaking nervous first time I used it but, the bike didn't move at all!
newmexico
6/8/2015 4:32pm
Here's what it looks like. Pulled trigger on a MOTOTOTE!! Maiden voyage and I'm still scared to death of it!

jtiger12
6/8/2015 5:44pm
newmexico wrote:
Here's what it looks like. Pulled trigger on a MOTOTOTE!! Maiden voyage and I'm still scared to death of it![img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/06/08/93972/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Here's what it looks like. Pulled trigger on a MOTOTOTE!! Maiden voyage and I'm still scared to death of it!

I love my hitch carrier, but I'd be nervous with a brand new 500 af sitting back there too. That bike looks sick dude..
7/1/2015 3:05pm
I used one on my Suzuki Samurai for ever. I still have it, the hitch not the Samurai :( , and use it on my wife's...
I used one on my Suzuki Samurai for ever. I still have it, the hitch not the Samurai Sad , and use it on my wife's Navigator. Works great.
Hey racingfortheson, I'd love to know what make and model hitch carrier you have. I'm considering getting one to carry an old CL100 on the back of my Samurai (tin top). How heavy were the bikes you hauled with your carrier, and how well did they fit around the Samurai's spare?

Sorry to hear you are no longer with Samurai!
racingfortheson
Fantasy
4302nd
7/5/2015 9:11pm
I used one on my Suzuki Samurai for ever. I still have it, the hitch not the Samurai :( , and use it on my wife's...
I used one on my Suzuki Samurai for ever. I still have it, the hitch not the Samurai Sad , and use it on my wife's Navigator. Works great.
Hey racingfortheson, I'd love to know what make and model hitch carrier you have. I'm considering getting one to carry an old CL100 on the back...
Hey racingfortheson, I'd love to know what make and model hitch carrier you have. I'm considering getting one to carry an old CL100 on the back of my Samurai (tin top). How heavy were the bikes you hauled with your carrier, and how well did they fit around the Samurai's spare?

Sorry to hear you are no longer with Samurai!
The one I have is one someone built. You just have to face the bike where the handlebars are one the opposite side of the spare. I also had a custom bumper with a class 3 receiver in it. I hauled my CR125 but I don't know how well it would have pulled it with stock motor. Mine was the fuel injection motor from a Sidekick. Hope that helps.
7/6/2015 4:41am
Thanks. I often tow a small trailer so I'm sure there won't be a problem in terms of power or braking; I was more concerned with the front end getting floaty at speed because of the weight on the tongue with the short wheelbase. The CL100 is probably about the same size as the CR, so that's reassuring.

It sounds like you had a nice little rig!
Crush
7/12/2015 6:09pm
Hello Chaps.

Has anyone seen a double bike carrier of one of these–good for a 350 and 450? Thinking it'd be nice if I didn't have to remove the ute canopy to go riding...

Post a reply to: Do motorcycle hitch carriers work?

The Latest