YZ250F vs YZ450F in pro racing

5/30/2016 5:21pm
AS64 wrote:
Yamaha knows it still needs work. Below is a picture from Transworld MX of the 2017 YZ450F and as you can see (red circle) where the...
Yamaha knows it still needs work. Below is a picture from Transworld MX of the 2017 YZ450F and as you can see (red circle) where the old mount is, they filled it with rubber plugs and to the right of it is where the new engine mount is.

"Hirata's factory Yamaha YZ450F. Note the new engine mounts, which reposition the engine in a new location. We found it odd that the standard engine mount points were left on the frame, but filled with small rubber plugs."

Again,

Yamaha can't get anything right. Their 4 strokes suck because they keep upgrading them to make them better, and their 2 strokes are shit because they never upgrade them enough...
5/30/2016 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 5:29pm
I picked up a 2015 YZ450F thursday and took it out to Cahuilla MX today to get a base line. The 'front end issue' was noticeable when I was rolling the track when I first went out there. As I got comfortable with the throttle, clutch and brakes and started picking up the pace, the issue was nonexistent. It's only going to get better from here as I continue to set it up. Chopping throttle mid corner causing engine braking, or abrupt brakes and throttle would probably bring it back. It's a rider issue not a bike issue
BobPA
5/30/2016 5:33pm
gsxr6 wrote:
Close buddy. I actually prefer Jose cuervo. And I wear my leapard thong while on said wheelie, sans helmet and in flip flops. All for your...
Close buddy. I actually prefer Jose cuervo. And I wear my leapard thong while on said wheelie, sans helmet and in flip flops. All for your mom's. Ur point? Hell u haven't even touched 5th on that badass 350. Do u even lift ?
psshhh 5th gear is for desert racers and hillbilly road racers Cool .

Lift? I'm pretty sure my middle name is "Leg Day"
gsxr6
5/30/2016 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 5:34pm
I picked up a 2015 YZ450F thursday and took it out to Cahuilla MX today to get a base line. The 'front end issue' was noticeable...
I picked up a 2015 YZ450F thursday and took it out to Cahuilla MX today to get a base line. The 'front end issue' was noticeable when I was rolling the track when I first went out there. As I got comfortable with the throttle, clutch and brakes and started picking up the pace, the issue was nonexistent. It's only going to get better from here as I continue to set it up. Chopping throttle mid corner causing engine braking, or abrupt brakes and throttle would probably bring it back. It's a rider issue not a bike issue
This is all fair. I don't ride on an mx track, and do like to aggressively brake and then hammer the throttle wfo coming out, n it only really seems to bother me in fast flat 4th and 5th gear sweepers. Does fine in the lower speed really tight corners. Or if there is even a hint of a berm, I'm golden.

The Shop

motomike137
5/30/2016 5:47pm
I've ridden Yamaha's my whole life with a couple of Honda's thrown in along the way. When I got my 2011 YZ450 I found out in short order what everyone was talking about at corner turn in. Without going into a long winded story my summation is that the bike is different and you have to work with the set up and then learn to approach your corners in what i would call a more deliberate fashion. Riders that aren't willing to adapt and experiment will have a hard time with the bike especially coming off other brands. The 250 just goes to show you that with a little less power and inertia pushing the package around it is a fantastic motorcycle. As for the factory level bikes and the experimentation like we see shown in the pictures here everybody is changing and developing their bikes all the time. Most of any issues with any of these bikes nowadays whether it be at the amateur level or at the pro level can be solved with careful set up and anything beyond that is a situation going on between the riders ears.
IceMan446
5/30/2016 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 6:06pm
I've ridden Yamaha's my whole life with a couple of Honda's thrown in along the way. When I got my 2011 YZ450 I found out in...
I've ridden Yamaha's my whole life with a couple of Honda's thrown in along the way. When I got my 2011 YZ450 I found out in short order what everyone was talking about at corner turn in. Without going into a long winded story my summation is that the bike is different and you have to work with the set up and then learn to approach your corners in what i would call a more deliberate fashion. Riders that aren't willing to adapt and experiment will have a hard time with the bike especially coming off other brands. The 250 just goes to show you that with a little less power and inertia pushing the package around it is a fantastic motorcycle. As for the factory level bikes and the experimentation like we see shown in the pictures here everybody is changing and developing their bikes all the time. Most of any issues with any of these bikes nowadays whether it be at the amateur level or at the pro level can be solved with careful set up and anything beyond that is a situation going on between the riders ears.
I agree.

I went to 105mm on sag and brought the fork up 2mm in the triple clamps and that helped out a lot.

I like the rear end a little lower than most but damn it turns well.

I found I had to go softer on the rebound on the shock, which was a surprise to me.

Takes time to find what works for you.
Crush
5/30/2016 6:12pm
Chad made an interesting comment regarding setting it up, he basically said he thinks that without testing time, he couldn't just go to the usual fixes he knows to do for the other brands... ie it's not doing this, so change that... or it's doing this, let's go less here.

He said it's different and then basically underlined how much Yamaha not being involved for a while might have slowed down the development.

resetjet
5/30/2016 6:18pm
Comparing a stock bike to factory is rediculous. They can fix so much. 80% rider 20% bike as previously stated. Kr and rd wilk win on any brand.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
1125th
5/30/2016 8:12pm
On my 14 yz450 when I first got it I had an issue with the turning, but once I put taller bars that allowed me to get a little more forward on the bike while turning, dropped the forks to the top and got rid of that horrible mx51 on the front everything felt 100x better. Running sag at 100mm and it handles and turns like a dream. Others I know have had to go a different way with it. The bike is great. For the pros I'd say the issue is the riders. Why else would barcia win last year and have issues this year?
gsxr6
5/31/2016 6:48pm
I also put taller bars, forward position on bar mounts, in the forward hole of the clamps, mx32 and 105 mm sag. All of it helped. But that push still shows up sometimes.
colintrax
Fantasy
2562nd
5/31/2016 7:35pm
gsxr6 wrote:
Close buddy. I actually prefer Jose cuervo. And I wear my leapard thong while on said wheelie, sans helmet and in flip flops. All for your...
Close buddy. I actually prefer Jose cuervo. And I wear my leapard thong while on said wheelie, sans helmet and in flip flops. All for your mom's. Ur point? Hell u haven't even touched 5th on that badass 350. Do u even lift ?
You're making vital look like a gixxer forum. Atleast your username makes sense.
JB 19
5/31/2016 8:01pm
gsxr6 wrote:
colintrax wrote:
You're making vital look like a gixxer forum. Atleast your username makes sense.
Just let him go. It's making my day reading all of his comments. I'm still waiting on the dyno wars to start.....and to hear about this 60 hp cr250. Silly

Post a reply to: YZ250F vs YZ450F in pro racing

The Latest