2004 Cr85r Expert build, Start-finish.

Hondas4Life3
Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 5:30am
I built a 04 Cr85 expert a little while ago and never got around to posting it. Here she is from start to finish. I ended up selling it for $1,900 to make way for another project.

Story
I purchased a 03 + a 04 cr85. For $225 Both were blown up and completely ratted. I sold the parts I did not need and used the best parts to build on the 04 frame. I only chose the 04 frame because it was newer. 03-04 are the exact same bike.

Here is how it showed up.

Extra parts from the 03 mostly

This is the motor from the 03. The transmission bearing behind the kick start gear was literately gone; nothing was left. I sold that bottom end and used the 04 because the transmission and crank were both still in good condition.

The cylinder was ported but the plating was trash. The piston ring broke and ate the cylinder and head. It also came with a V-Force delta 2. I sold that and bought new V-Force 3 reeds for it.

|
Hondas4Life3
3/20/2015 12:00am
After disassembling the bottom end only one transmission bearing needed replaced and the clutch was in good condition. Someone used a screwdriver between the cylinder and cases so I surfaced the cases.

Crank was in great condition so it got reused.

Now everything going back together. Transmission was disassembled and inspected and everything checked out okay.

Cylinder and head were sent to millennium and the head was cut for pump gas. New Wiseco piston kit used.

Carb was rebuilt with new jets and gaskets.

Going back in the frame

The bike was a small wheel so I converted it into an Expert/Bigwheel. If anyone was wondering on this all you need is an expert shock spring (stiffer than small wheel) A set of expert wheels. An Expert rear brake line and swingarm...
Of course the swingarm i bought off ebay showed up cracked so i had it welded.

Used procircuit pipe before I cleaned it up

After

I purchased a set of 2007 Cr85rb forks off of ebay and rebuilt them. Honda changed the design in 05 which is why i went with the newer forks.

Rear wheel, New rotor sprocket wheel bearings and tire

Hondas4Life3
3/20/2015 12:16am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 12:32am
The front wheel is a Pro wheel rim and stainless spoke kit. The bike also had a bent subframe and bars. The brakes were completely rebuilt front and rear and every seal in the bike was new. Some of the bearings were reusing but only because they were in good condition. Over all it was a Lot of work and the pictures only show half of how bad everything was.

The bike Ripped!! sold it with 10 hours on the complete build ...
Finished pics.

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ4sMw6zDds
Shitty quality but oh well..

I know the inner plastic is dirty. It needed bleached but I never got around to it.

New parts list.

Chassis:
New Pro taper S.E bars (Honda mini bend)
New Pro taper Synergy half waffle grips with grip donuts
New red Sunline Maxtix throttle and clutch cables
New Pro wheel front rim (Generation 3) with oversized spokes and new spoke nipples
New tusk front and rear brake pads
New Outlaw wave rear brake rotor
New subframe
New All balls front and rear wheel bearings and seals
New All Balls rear wheel spacers and new axle nut
New steering stem seals
New Primary drive front and rear sprockets
New primary drive chain
New dunlop MX51 rear tire
New dunlop MX71 Front tire
New front innertube and rim strip
New Tusk clutch perch
New Motion pro clutch lever
New front fender
New seat bolts, plastic bolts, ETC ETC

Suspension
Freshly repacked shock bearing
2007 Cr85r front forks with NEW fork seals,Fork rings,bushings, and oil
New swing arm bearing and linkage bearing seals, they were all repacked using Belray waterproof greese

Engine:
New Ported cylinder (Just got replated by millennium technologies)
New Head milled for 93 pump gas (milled by eric gorr)
New shift star roller and return spring
Newer oem clutch plates and springs
New V-force 3I reed cage and carbon fiber reeds
Pro Circuit works pipe
Pro Citcuit R-304 Shorty silencer (freshly repacked)
New Hot rods crank bearings and seals
New Wiseco complete top end kit
New MSR polished shift lever
One new tranny bearing (all others were inspected and were in great condition)
New spark plug
EVERY seal and gasket in the engine is new
1 New case stud and 3 new cylinder nuts
New cylinder dowels
Surfaced cylinder base (on the cases) surfaced cylinder intake, exhaust, top of cylinder, and cylinder head to ensure that the engine had a Perfectly flat sealing surface.

Carb:
New no-toil air filter (comes with a UNI dual stage filter also)
All new gaskets
New Oem jets (jetted for the porting/pipe)
Free Flow red hoses

EVERY bearing, gasket, seal, nut, bolt, ETC ETC. Was thoroughly inspected for wear and was either cleaned/regreased or replaced.

wsc96
Fantasy
196th
3/20/2015 12:47am
Awesome. Had a few CR80s back in the day! Nice work.
Vanilla
3/20/2015 4:07am
Awesome build! Why did you not have the frame pained or powder coated?

The Shop

Hondas4Life3
3/20/2015 5:12am
I wanted to keep it within budget.. But I still should have had it done because by the time i was done i was way over budget anyway.
3/21/2015 10:34am
I had one of those the year they came out... Your build brought back some memories! Great job!
Hondas4Life3
4/16/2015 5:01pm
If anyone is in need of some CR85 showa forks I Have a set. Pivot works complete rebuild kit installed with new oil. - 0 rides on them not even mounted on the bike since rebuilt
Abwillingham
5/23/2018 4:36am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2018 4:57am
I just noticed the hot rod crank for 2004 is a different part number from 2005 for the cr85. Did they really change that too in 2005?
Hondas4Life3
5/23/2018 7:37am
I just noticed the hot rod crank for 2004 is a different part number from 2005 for the cr85. Did they really change that too in...
I just noticed the hot rod crank for 2004 is a different part number from 2005 for the cr85. Did they really change that too in 2005?
If the part number is different then yes. The 03/04 are the same engine and the 05-07 is the next and last generation. Compare the OEM part numbers that will answer your question better.
Abwillingham
5/24/2018 5:28am
So how much did you need up getting for this when you sold it?

Post a reply to: 2004 Cr85r Expert build, Start-finish.

The Latest