KTM 250 XC Supermoto (YES - its a 2 Stroke!!!)

Edited Date/Time 6/2/2019 7:23am
SO this isn't a proper "build" thread as I kinda stopped taking pictures about half way through the build. Also the first photos I took weren't great, and I changed my mind about three times on how I was going about it so the original photos are pretty much invalid now.....

SO, instead ill put up some before pictures, and the present pictures with a brief outline of what I did. and ill be happy to answer any questions. this was going to be my first attempt at a "build thread". the project just dragged on and the objective kinda got lost along the way.

So without further adieu...

2011 KTM 250 XC
she was hammered! zip tied plastics, tin can pipe, caked on mud and grease....what a looker...

The first thing I did was send out the suspension to get serviced. the shock was basically seized and the forks would stick down when compressed.

I stripped it down and off to the carwash I went. it didn't do much for the accumulation of crap all over the frame and anything rubber.

I'm putting out a disclaimer....I did not go over and scrub everything and remove every particle of dirt as I have seen others do in their builds. the end result will not be "showroom quality". why? well I was very limited by my work area for 2/3 of the build. A dingy shed with a single hanging light bulb, no water, limited tools, and certainly no shop air. The goal is once I get a season of riding, I'll strip it down and clean and have frame and such powder coated. now I have a proper setup in my new home. plus I changed careers so all the tools I accumulated in 10 years of mechanics are now home and at my disposal!!! WIN!

Heres some of the more major parts I got

FMF Fatty pipe and the Q stealth silencer

Trail Tech Vapor - so I have speed, rpm, distance, and temp (needed in pa to be street legal)

A new OEM airbox - the old one was just not worth cleaning up

a lithium ion battery - the old one was dead - I also got a new starter (no pics) the old was was completely siezed.

a k&n air filter. I went this route because the airbox was to be the location for the relays and fuse block needed to add the circuits for the lights and horn etc and a traditional filter would 1. be very messy 2. take up a lot more space.
Before commenting that a ktm has a harness for those things I made a modification to the stator that made those plugs inoperable...I will explain more later on.

Sicass racing led tail / brake license plate holder (bike specific)

and the OEM EXC headlight shroud. I also got a Baja Designs squadron pro led headlight and a digital programmer to regulate high / low beam (no pics)

The next step was a process to ramp up the power of the stock stator. The process is called "floating the ground" and it ties the two separate legs of the stator into one big one.

Stock the bike is DC starting / AC lighting. Once the ground is floated the bike is now fully DC. the kit costs about 50$ and comes with a small piece of wire needed to float the ground, and a new regulator with a bike specific connector.

NOW- once the stator is upgraded is produces higher watts but at the cost that all the connectors on the bike for factory accessories i.e. lights, fan, etc are all unable to be used as they are wired for ac, not dc. I'm sure I could have rewired the factory wires to work, but I just cut out all the excess wires and left the bare bones stuff needed to run the bike and HAND BUILT a stand alone wire harness to run all the accessories.

**full disclosure** the first harness was a piece of S**t! it was bulky, the wire I used was too heavy, and I knew i'd have problems. so I completely rebuilt again using smaller gauge wire and better connectors.

Heres a photo of the stator with the ground floated.

The regulator holes did not line up with the oem ones so I made a bracket and hung it above the carb.

once all the electrics were done I ended up with a pretty streamlined easily serviceable wire harness. I had turn signal indicators on a dashboard that you can get for the trail tech. I added led strips in the rear wheel well to add tail lights and brake lights for increased visibility.

Here's a shot of the trail tech with the dashboard

the most glorious day was when my custom supermoto wheels arrived from Dubya USA. Black rims, Orange hubs. I opted to not go with the Cush drive but I may send the rear back and have it done at the end of the season.

I then got to a point where the bike was assembled, and i went for my first road ride! the bike needed some jetting, but I got it dialed in. The bike had no graphics. I went with a Polisport sm line front fender. im not sure how much I love it, I may swap it for something different. well see how it looks with the graphics kit on it. I had to buy a shortened kick stand since the bike was lowered by the sm wheels. I went with one by warp 9.

I wanted to spruce up my wheels a little. I kept seeing sumos with half and half rims, so I found a company (Moto inkz) who made sticker kits for wheels. I picked one up in Flo orange and now they look like this...

The frame had all the paint rubbed off and looked pretty shitty so until I get it powder coated, I threw on a set of Acerbis frame guards. this is what the bike looks like currently.

I ordered a set of graphics from ERA Moto. I wanted something clean and simple. with highlights of color, but mainly still black. I should get them in the next week.

well thanks for enduring my probably crappy attempt at a bike build thread. ill continue to add to this as I add more bits and pieces. Grinning

Also if there's anything your curious about, want more info on or want a better pic of something just ask and ill be happy to help!
|

Post a reply to: KTM 250 XC Supermoto (YES - its a 2 Stroke!!!)

The Latest