A year with the yz250

JM485
It's been about a year since I got my 15 yz250, and I figured I would give an update on how things have been. First and foremost, this bike is everything I wanted it to be. I can ride track one weekend, and throw on a skid plate the next for some serious trail riding and hillclimbing. The bike does everything well, and has been reliable as a rock. Here's a quick list of the main mods done:

1. Rekluse auto clutch. This is by far the best mod I have done, and it was worth all 40,000 pennies. I originally put it on to race endurocross, but as I've ridden with it for some time I've found there are benefits almost everywhere. I can attack technical trail sections without having to cover the clutch (think rocky, loose creek bed), and I can also use it to my advantage while hillclimbing to keep the motor from hopping and spinning the back wheel. It's hard to explain this technique through text, but I think it's a serious advantage for hillclimbing.

2. 11oz flywheel weight. Another great mod, bike revs smoother and longer, highly recommended.

3. FMF expansion chamber and spark arrestor silenser. I replaced the expansion chamber due to my stock one getting some good sized dents in it, and went with the FMF since it is closest to stock. For some of the places I ride I have to have a sparky on the back, but to be honest I like how it smooths out the power and rev of the bike, so it stays on even for track days.

4. SXS slide plate. For anyone into off-road, don't even consider another type of skid plate, it's that good! I love that my linkage is covered and to this day looks brand new, and believe me this bike has seen some rocks and logs. If you've never heard of them, do a quick google search and you will not be disappointed. The only thing I was hesitant about was drilling two very small mounting holes in the bottom of my frame, but I'm confident this will not effect it structurally in any way as long as they are drilled in the centerline of the cross spar.

5. Starcross tires front and rear. I have a few rides on these now and I like them a lot, highly recommended.

A few things I've learned about the bike:
-changing the sag has a big effect on handling. I've ran a little over 100mm and now I'm at around 97mm. If you try this be prepared though, the head shake can get very bad! But you will get better cornering out of the bike. I noticed in pictures that the bike was squatting a lot and it wanted to climb out of ruts, so I decided to give this a try. I'm haven't tried this on trails yet, but it seems to be alright on the track.
-moving forks around in the clamps is another easy way to change thing up. I tried taking out 20cc of oil out of each side but ended up adding 10cc back in, that seems to work well for me. Thanks for the tip Slipdog!
-ergonomically the bike feels long and low, somewhat like the RM. Taller bars helped me out, but it is still pretty low.
-I've found myself riding off the back of the bike a lot more lately, not sure if that is a product of the bike or my height, but it is something I've noticed.

The aftermath:
- 60+ hours
-one top end change
-1 suspension service (forks done by me, shock by a local tuner)
-slightly bent subframe
-one endurocross race, a few moto races, and a lot of practice days
-still on stock plastics!
-no major crashes luckily!
-some epic riding trips and memories I wouldn't trade for anything.

If you made it this far, thanks, hope you enjoyed and got some ideas. This has been my experience with the bike, if anyone has any input or questions feel free to comment, I'd love to hear from some fellow YZ owners about what they have done with their bikes. I've been so happy with this thing and how versatile it has been, pretty much shines no matter where you put it. It might be an older design, but the bottom line is it's proven and it flat out works.

Some memorable moments for me:

|
Flip109
7/12/2016 7:33pm
Not a current YZ owner, but had a few in the past (03,04)and really liked those. Great post and nice pics. That's what it is all about man!
burn1986
Fantasy
3694th
7/12/2016 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2016 8:28pm
Excellent love my term test. I think you've covered everything we were thinking about. How did all the fasteners do? Did anything vibrate loose or any bolts that required constant tightening? Thanks man!
AS64
Fantasy
2395th
7/12/2016 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2016 8:45pm
Great write up.

Changing the sag with the stock offset triple clamps can definitely help cornering to an extent but I feel it takes away from other areas it's great at like high speed stability and a "balanced feel". 22mm offset triple clamps fixed all of the cornering gripes I had with my YZ250. Absolutely no issues with headshake, either. Feels great at high speeds and it's easy to hit any line I want. Just point and shoot. I actually find the bike "wanting" to take the inside line now whereas before it was pretty much a berm king.

Cheers

The Shop

dedi684
7/12/2016 8:45pm
Hmmm i just so happen to have an 11oz weight for my 16 sitting here. Ive run a 9 oz on my 06 yz.
MotoGuido
7/12/2016 8:45pm
Shit man I've had an opposite experience with my '15 yz250. First brand new bike I've ever had and it's had serious electrical problems within just 6 months of purchasing it.

Ruined Mammoth Motocross for me. Took it to 3 different mechanics in the weeks leading up to the race, nobody could get it right. Even had a new stator installed for $300! Still fucked up. Spent the entire practice day in Mammoth ~8hrs straight at Factory Yamaha support with 3 mechanics crawling all over the bike, cannibalizing a 2016 model to exchange every electrical part.

Still didn't end up running right, bogged on the wall and shattered my tibia destroying my ankle.

Yamaha could care less and says "Warranty is 1 month." However their guys can't even fix the damn thing when I pay for it.

Not stoked on their quality control. All this happened at 25hrs and 5 months after purchase. Not impressed, think their quality control is suffering in favor of keeping up with R&D for the fart machines.
JM485
7/12/2016 9:31pm
MotoGuido wrote:
Shit man I've had an opposite experience with my '15 yz250. First brand new bike I've ever had and it's had serious electrical problems within just...
Shit man I've had an opposite experience with my '15 yz250. First brand new bike I've ever had and it's had serious electrical problems within just 6 months of purchasing it.

Ruined Mammoth Motocross for me. Took it to 3 different mechanics in the weeks leading up to the race, nobody could get it right. Even had a new stator installed for $300! Still fucked up. Spent the entire practice day in Mammoth ~8hrs straight at Factory Yamaha support with 3 mechanics crawling all over the bike, cannibalizing a 2016 model to exchange every electrical part.

Still didn't end up running right, bogged on the wall and shattered my tibia destroying my ankle.

Yamaha could care less and says "Warranty is 1 month." However their guys can't even fix the damn thing when I pay for it.

Not stoked on their quality control. All this happened at 25hrs and 5 months after purchase. Not impressed, think their quality control is suffering in favor of keeping up with R&D for the fart machines.
Damn, sorry about that. That's total bs for Yamaha not to step up and cover that stuff, no reason a bike that new should be even close to having electrical issues but evidently you aren't the only one having issues. Seriously sorry about your leg, that just throws salt in the wound big time, I hope Yamaha gets a handle on this stuff and starts doing the right thing.

One thing to note is that I don't ever pressure wash my bike. I have no idea if that is playing a role in Yamaha's electrical issues, but I always just use a hose, soap, and some brushes. Weird that this is happening now even though the bikes are such an old design, I wonder if the new plastic shape lets more water or dirt in somehow?
KBOLTZ
7/12/2016 9:38pm
JM485 wrote:
It's been about a year since I got my 15 yz250, and I figured I would give an update on how things have been. First and...
It's been about a year since I got my 15 yz250, and I figured I would give an update on how things have been. First and foremost, this bike is everything I wanted it to be. I can ride track one weekend, and throw on a skid plate the next for some serious trail riding and hillclimbing. The bike does everything well, and has been reliable as a rock. Here's a quick list of the main mods done:

1. Rekluse auto clutch. This is by far the best mod I have done, and it was worth all 40,000 pennies. I originally put it on to race endurocross, but as I've ridden with it for some time I've found there are benefits almost everywhere. I can attack technical trail sections without having to cover the clutch (think rocky, loose creek bed), and I can also use it to my advantage while hillclimbing to keep the motor from hopping and spinning the back wheel. It's hard to explain this technique through text, but I think it's a serious advantage for hillclimbing.

2. 11oz flywheel weight. Another great mod, bike revs smoother and longer, highly recommended.

3. FMF expansion chamber and spark arrestor silenser. I replaced the expansion chamber due to my stock one getting some good sized dents in it, and went with the FMF since it is closest to stock. For some of the places I ride I have to have a sparky on the back, but to be honest I like how it smooths out the power and rev of the bike, so it stays on even for track days.

4. SXS slide plate. For anyone into off-road, don't even consider another type of skid plate, it's that good! I love that my linkage is covered and to this day looks brand new, and believe me this bike has seen some rocks and logs. If you've never heard of them, do a quick google search and you will not be disappointed. The only thing I was hesitant about was drilling two very small mounting holes in the bottom of my frame, but I'm confident this will not effect it structurally in any way as long as they are drilled in the centerline of the cross spar.

5. Starcross tires front and rear. I have a few rides on these now and I like them a lot, highly recommended.

A few things I've learned about the bike:
-changing the sag has a big effect on handling. I've ran a little over 100mm and now I'm at around 97mm. If you try this be prepared though, the head shake can get very bad! But you will get better cornering out of the bike. I noticed in pictures that the bike was squatting a lot and it wanted to climb out of ruts, so I decided to give this a try. I'm haven't tried this on trails yet, but it seems to be alright on the track.
-moving forks around in the clamps is another easy way to change thing up. I tried taking out 20cc of oil out of each side but ended up adding 10cc back in, that seems to work well for me. Thanks for the tip Slipdog!
-ergonomically the bike feels long and low, somewhat like the RM. Taller bars helped me out, but it is still pretty low.
-I've found myself riding off the back of the bike a lot more lately, not sure if that is a product of the bike or my height, but it is something I've noticed.

The aftermath:
- 60+ hours
-one top end change
-1 suspension service (forks done by me, shock by a local tuner)
-slightly bent subframe
-one endurocross race, a few moto races, and a lot of practice days
-still on stock plastics!
-no major crashes luckily!
-some epic riding trips and memories I wouldn't trade for anything.

If you made it this far, thanks, hope you enjoyed and got some ideas. This has been my experience with the bike, if anyone has any input or questions feel free to comment, I'd love to hear from some fellow YZ owners about what they have done with their bikes. I've been so happy with this thing and how versatile it has been, pretty much shines no matter where you put it. It might be an older design, but the bottom line is it's proven and it flat out works.

Some memorable moments for me:

Loved the write up! good insight on the bike. I'm still on a steely 04 yz250. Great bike all around. Thinking about a flywheel change though.

Are those free riding pics from Hollister Hills? Place looks amazing.
JM485
7/12/2016 9:44pm
Kx125rider - before this I had an rm250, but I started having a lot of engine problems with it. Aside from that it was a great bike, but I ended up spending a lot of time on my cr125 since I couldn't keep the Suzuki together. The YZ feels similar to the rm to me, while the Honda feels a lot shorter and taller. I honestly thing the Honda turns better than both of them, but it is a 125 so that has to be kept in mind.

Burn1986- all fasteners have been good. Only bolt I've really had come loose is one side of the subframe, but mine is bent so that's not really a fair gripe. My only other issues have been the shifter having to be tightened every few rides, and the kickstarted pivot getting tough. Turns out the grease Yamaha uses in there turns to white louder after a while, so for anyone with a Yamaha I would recommend pulling it apart and greasing it. Same thing happened to Raining Yellows bike.

AS64 - You're absolutely right, the head shake from running less sag can be pretty scary. For faster tracks I would probably stick with the 100mm, but I can get away with it in slower, tighter tracks. I'll have to look into the 22mm clamps depending on price. That's really my only gripe with the bike, sometimes the front wants to push out, but I had that same issues with my RM.

rpoint116 - I haven't really felt the need to be honest. I don't doubt for a second that the new reeds would help, but I'm sticking to a tight budget here!
MotoGuido
7/12/2016 10:01pm
JM485 wrote:
Damn, sorry about that. That's total bs for Yamaha not to step up and cover that stuff, no reason a bike that new should be even...
Damn, sorry about that. That's total bs for Yamaha not to step up and cover that stuff, no reason a bike that new should be even close to having electrical issues but evidently you aren't the only one having issues. Seriously sorry about your leg, that just throws salt in the wound big time, I hope Yamaha gets a handle on this stuff and starts doing the right thing.

One thing to note is that I don't ever pressure wash my bike. I have no idea if that is playing a role in Yamaha's electrical issues, but I always just use a hose, soap, and some brushes. Weird that this is happening now even though the bikes are such an old design, I wonder if the new plastic shape lets more water or dirt in somehow?
Funny you should mention that. I'm exactly that, anti power washer. I've never owned one, I only use a garden hose and a car mit on my bikes.

I'm very vocal about my views on tearing up a bike with power washing with my moto friends..

As you can imagine I'm really eating my words now!

Had a few comments on that when the entire Mammoth vet weekend my bike was getting blown apart at either Yamaha or ProCircuit. Quite a few punch lines and I wasn't laughing.

I think they specifically are using cheaper suppliers on their wire harness. This info came straight from ProCircuit mechanic who worked at Yamaha during the Stewart days.

JM485
7/12/2016 10:27pm
KBOLTZ wrote:
Loved the write up! good insight on the bike. I'm still on a steely 04 yz250. Great bike all around. Thinking about a flywheel change though...
Loved the write up! good insight on the bike. I'm still on a steely 04 yz250. Great bike all around. Thinking about a flywheel change though.

Are those free riding pics from Hollister Hills? Place looks amazing.
Free ride pics are from Carnegie, I've only been to Hollister once but I want to go back, it was super fun!

MotoGuido, hmm that's really strange. I also make sure I get most of the water off the bike with an air compressor or leaf blower when I'm done, but I'm betting you do that as well. I didn't realize this problem extended to the two strokes, I was hoping it was a yzf only problem but if what you're saying about the wiring harness suppliers is true that could be a major issue. I'll have to keep an eye on mine, not really sure what I can do to help prevent it though.
Lightning78
7/12/2016 10:42pm
JM485 wrote:
Free ride pics are from Carnegie, I've only been to Hollister once but I want to go back, it was super fun! MotoGuido, hmm that's really...
Free ride pics are from Carnegie, I've only been to Hollister once but I want to go back, it was super fun!

MotoGuido, hmm that's really strange. I also make sure I get most of the water off the bike with an air compressor or leaf blower when I'm done, but I'm betting you do that as well. I didn't realize this problem extended to the two strokes, I was hoping it was a yzf only problem but if what you're saying about the wiring harness suppliers is true that could be a major issue. I'll have to keep an eye on mine, not really sure what I can do to help prevent it though.
The second I saw those pictures I knew right away they were from Carnegie I know exactly where that Cliff jump is and that first when you're doing the turndown with that's at the hill was the water tower in front of a group run there almost all my life is not 21 and I've only been able to go back once since I moved to SoCal I'm 37 now but that place is seriously my most favorite place on earth the ride other than Beaumont going to place you can get trail riding in and have it be just as rewarding as Moto anywhere else just doesn't get the same satisfaction I do think the spark arrester things kind of lame there though actually very lame but I do miss riding that place a lot
PJRAUS
7/13/2016 12:11am
Electrical problems with a YZ 250, this is disconcerting, I've not heard of it before, sounds like a real horror story with broken bones and all. I would not be surprised to learn that Yamaha was cutting cośts by using cheaper components and still charging big bucks for their dated but still very popular two strokes...silly thing to do if it is true...YZ 250's have always been super reliable...
JM485
7/13/2016 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2016 5:18pm
The second I saw those pictures I knew right away they were from Carnegie I know exactly where that Cliff jump is and that first when...
The second I saw those pictures I knew right away they were from Carnegie I know exactly where that Cliff jump is and that first when you're doing the turndown with that's at the hill was the water tower in front of a group run there almost all my life is not 21 and I've only been able to go back once since I moved to SoCal I'm 37 now but that place is seriously my most favorite place on earth the ride other than Beaumont going to place you can get trail riding in and have it be just as rewarding as Moto anywhere else just doesn't get the same satisfaction I do think the spark arrester things kind of lame there though actually very lame but I do miss riding that place a lot
Yep, that place is the best! There's no way I'd have some of the unique bike skills I have without that place, there's nothing else like it.

Markopolo400, it's really just trying to get out there every weekend. I know that's not always realistic, but I go whenever I can.
RCN4HIM
7/13/2016 5:24pm
12 or newer YZ250-450F Swing arm and linkage, love the way the bike feels in off camber stuff... We even did the swap with our modded out 15 YZ 125!

Post a reply to: A year with the yz250

The Latest