Mercedes Benz sprinter van

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2773rd
9/7/2016 5:41pm
endurox wrote:
Take a test drive in the Transit, Promaster and Sprinter. You might be surprised with the 3.5 twin turbo Transit. Handles really nice and has over...
Take a test drive in the Transit, Promaster and Sprinter. You might be surprised with the 3.5 twin turbo Transit. Handles really nice and has over 400 ft pounds of torque.
blusmbl wrote:
The 3.5 Ecoboost Transit is ridiculous. The 3.7 is adequate, especially if you aren't towing...but it doesn't feel like a rocketship in comparison. I've driven both...
The 3.5 Ecoboost Transit is ridiculous. The 3.7 is adequate, especially if you aren't towing...but it doesn't feel like a rocketship in comparison.

I've driven both the Sprinters and the Transit, definitely prefer the Transit.
Transit's seem like cheaper options, but the lowest roof is more like an econoline height. Sprinter has about 66 inches in the low roof. Most girls can stand up barefoot in a sprinter (and that's what it's all about, amirite?) Not in a transit. Also once you get a deisel in the transit it Jacks the price up.

Mercedes is really trying to get these van into the market and cargo option's in modest trim package's can be had for below sticker. The dealer invoice is %7 below sticker price and every dealer I spoke with in 3 states agreed to show me the invoice and sell at that price. I got mine 17% below sticker because of leftover model year incentives.

Most Mercedes dealers don't care about making money on the sale for the vans, they just want to move units. If you're serious, they'll get you a good deal.
ob
9/7/2016 6:38pm
It's only the US versions with the crappy BlueTech emissions systems that have all the problems. Euro versions and older versions don't have as many issues. Service is very expensive. And the paint is terrible they all rust even brand new ones, I just don't get that it's kind of ridiculous. Also weird electrical issues the puts the van in limp mode for no reason. I was going to buy one but bought a gas pro master instead. I do love the look of the new sprinter 4x4 version.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2561st
9/7/2016 6:48pm
Getting a high roof and being able to stand up is definitely a plus for me. I had a camper that was just shy of standing up and it makes everything a bit more annoying. Just my 2 cents.
chris225
9/7/2016 6:57pm
I have owned a 2016 4x4 sprinter since february, I have 7500 miles on it. No issues so far I love it. Its my daily driver

The Shop

9/7/2016 7:40pm

I sold my YZ450 to a guy who owns this beauty!
It has a fold out bed, couch and a bathroom!!
And it gets 22 mpg.
mingham97
9/7/2016 8:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 8:49pm
I am looking at getting a van but they're so much more expensive than a ute here in aus.

The type of ute with 150000kms t.d. will cost 8k aud

This van with 150000kms t.d. will cost about 14k aud

It's ridiculous over here. Would love to live in America and buy a 4.8 litre v8 gmc van with 150000 kms for 10k
9/7/2016 8:50pm
20km on my 2015 4x4. No real issues so far. Couple things I will say about owning a sprinter that I had no idea about.

- Fuel economy- Your at the mercy of the wind. When the wind is against you the van turns into a kite and is brutal on fuel. When the wind is with you the van is ok but nothing great. Very comparable to my ridgeline but diesel is cheaper so the van is cheaper to run.

- Ride - The van drives tight and has a great turning radius but the ride is pretty rough. The best way to combat this is to drop the tire pressures in the rear. These vans are essentially delivery vehicles and MB wants you to run 70 psi in the rear. Drop the tire pressure to 45 in the rear and the ride is much nicer.

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2773rd
9/8/2016 8:12am
ob wrote:
It's only the US versions with the crappy BlueTech emissions systems that have all the problems. Euro versions and older versions don't have as many issues...
It's only the US versions with the crappy BlueTech emissions systems that have all the problems. Euro versions and older versions don't have as many issues. Service is very expensive. And the paint is terrible they all rust even brand new ones, I just don't get that it's kind of ridiculous. Also weird electrical issues the puts the van in limp mode for no reason. I was going to buy one but bought a gas pro master instead. I do love the look of the new sprinter 4x4 version.
The emissions nightmare and electrical issues aren't as bad as they are made out to be, but the van has its idiosyncrasies. Mercedes now fill's the lower panel voids and doors with a ton of wax to cut back the rust issues, but the paint does suck. The stock white is a single layer, no clear, no primer. From what I've heard, the white is actually a primer and if you get a premium paint job they'll just spray a color over the white and then clear over it. May or may not be true.

sesker15
9/8/2016 9:18am
20km on my 2015 4x4. No real issues so far. Couple things I will say about owning a sprinter that I had no idea about. -...
20km on my 2015 4x4. No real issues so far. Couple things I will say about owning a sprinter that I had no idea about.

- Fuel economy- Your at the mercy of the wind. When the wind is against you the van turns into a kite and is brutal on fuel. When the wind is with you the van is ok but nothing great. Very comparable to my ridgeline but diesel is cheaper so the van is cheaper to run.

- Ride - The van drives tight and has a great turning radius but the ride is pretty rough. The best way to combat this is to drop the tire pressures in the rear. These vans are essentially delivery vehicles and MB wants you to run 70 psi in the rear. Drop the tire pressure to 45 in the rear and the ride is much nicer.

Sweet ride, Do you have any pictures of the inside? Is it a good van for moto?
9/8/2016 12:00pm
sesker15 wrote:
Sweet ride, Do you have any pictures of the inside? Is it a good van for moto?
Honestly it is a awesome van for moto. I have been riding and racing for years now and I kick myself for not buying a van soon. I love having my bike hidden in the van, I feel way better when I park somewhere and I don't have my bike out in the open like I did in my truck. My van isn't currently finished on the inside yet but a lot of work is getting done in October. Ill take some pics when it is done.
Bruneval
9/8/2016 12:38pm
I loved my Mercedes Sprinter. Make sure you treat the underneath with waxoil to prevent rust, but there are many examples for sale in the UK with over half a million miles on them. Such as this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608267168328?make=merc…

It's fairly well known that the injector seals fail after a while. Although they are only copper washers which cost about $2, you have to pull the injectors out to replace. Mine were done at 200k and the thing ran like new for another 5 years, routinely loaded with 3 bikes and able to rattle down the motorway at 100 mph.
mxtryon231
9/8/2016 3:09pm
I have a 2014 Mercedes sprinter with 25k miles and it has already had some serious issues with transmission (5k worth of work done) but hey it's paid for by my company so I enjoy it. I wouldn't buy one personally. Rides like a dream though!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2561st
9/8/2016 5:07pm
There's lots of van build photos in a recent thread called "Another Moto Van Build". But here's a few of mine while I'm here...

chris225
9/8/2016 6:40pm
20km on my 2015 4x4. No real issues so far. Couple things I will say about owning a sprinter that I had no idea about. -...

What size tires and wheels are those. Looking to get some bigger ones for my sprinter
9/8/2016 7:18pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/07/150548/s1200_20160905_151054.jpg[/img] I sold my YZ450 to a guy who owns this beauty! It has a fold out bed, couch and a bathroom!! And it gets 22...

I sold my YZ450 to a guy who owns this beauty!
It has a fold out bed, couch and a bathroom!!
And it gets 22 mpg.
Yea that's chuck days ride. And it's awesome sauce.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2773rd
9/8/2016 8:34pm

chris225 wrote:
What size tires and wheels are those. Looking to get some bigger ones for my sprinter
Method race wheels makes the standard in 17x7.5 the fit the sprinter. Pretty sure that's a set. Kmc makes 18 or 19, but that much rim is going to make the ride way shittier than it already is (pretty bad)

For size, the largest width is 265. If you do a stock rim, 265/75r16 is the biggest, 265/70r17 if you go after market.
Jack mehoff
9/8/2016 8:47pm
Look for a 7.3 ford box van you will thank me latter they run about 10 k used with a little over a 100k so much power it will pull a house down , yes there is a million mile club in them and if you don't get it your a fool ,10-17 foot to build your dream house/ garage in it and ride down the road like a dream , I had a sprinter it was a strait up POS
Honda129
9/8/2016 9:55pm
I love my 2016 Mercedes sprinter, I drive from Newport Beach to milestone MX daily and up north to Sacramento and I put in 30,000 miles and it runs great! Best vehicle I've ever owned. Daily driver.

Jack mehoff
9/8/2016 10:09pm
I was using it for work the day I took these it holds 2 bikes easy and a 3 rd going back wards

sesker15
9/9/2016 7:45am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2016 11:39am
Honda129 wrote:
I love my 2016 Mercedes sprinter, I drive from Newport Beach to milestone MX daily and up north to Sacramento and I put in 30,000 miles...
I love my 2016 Mercedes sprinter, I drive from Newport Beach to milestone MX daily and up north to Sacramento and I put in 30,000 miles and it runs great! Best vehicle I've ever owned. Daily driver.

Nice Ride. Is that the 144?
9/9/2016 9:10am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2016 9:55am
Anyone have experience with the Nissan van. The ceiling is super high. I have a Nissan Titan with 155000 and have had zero engine or trans problems. You can get the van with the 5.6 v8 that's in the trucks. Just wondering as it's an alternative to the sprinter and it can tow more when needed
Fog 25
Fantasy
415th
9/9/2016 10:12am
2016 crew van So far it's been a great van ride is fantastic two trips one to Colorado and other to Mammoth. Three bikes fit comfortably with gear. The only negative I found so far is the doorhandles pinch your fingers if you're not careful. My wife loves it now that she had to drive it home from Mammoth.
Fog 25
Fantasy
415th
9/9/2016 10:23am
Fog 25 wrote:
2016 crew van So far it's been a great van ride is fantastic two trips one to Colorado and other to Mammoth. Three bikes fit comfortably...
2016 crew van So far it's been a great van ride is fantastic two trips one to Colorado and other to Mammoth. Three bikes fit comfortably with gear. The only negative I found so far is the doorhandles pinch your fingers if you're not careful. My wife loves it now that she had to drive it home from Mammoth.
Sorry my thumbs are too big.couldnt post the pictures with first post.

Honda129
9/9/2016 2:05pm
Honda129 wrote:
I love my 2016 Mercedes sprinter, I drive from Newport Beach to milestone MX daily and up north to Sacramento and I put in 30,000 miles...

sesker15 wrote:
Nice Ride. Is that the 144?
Ya it's the 144, it's a perfect size for me. I can load up my 250 and 450 with lots of extra room for
More bikes if needed. DVD/ kick ass stereo and a REI Foam air roll mattress and I love it. I spear fish and surf too so I can load up all my surf boards and spearfishing gear easily and have a fun day after
Motos.

nc_mx_kid
9/9/2016 3:49pm
I just sold my 1998 ford E-350 extended 5.4L v8 gas motor got about 17MPG, owned it since 80k & sold it with 225k miles. Was a solid van, only died on me once after a day of motos due to fuel pump went out at 156k miles

chris225
9/9/2016 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2016 5:49pm

chris225 wrote:
Method race wheels makes the standard in 17x7.5 the fit the sprinter. Pretty sure that's a set. Kmc makes 18 or 19, but that much rim...
Method race wheels makes the standard in 17x7.5 the fit the sprinter. Pretty sure that's a set. Kmc makes 18 or 19, but that much rim is going to make the ride way shittier than it already is (pretty bad)

For size, the largest width is 265. If you do a stock rim, 265/75r16 is the biggest, 265/70r17 if you go after market.
Is that for the 4x4? It seems like 33's would clear pretty easily just not sure about the width. One this great about the sprinter is how sharp it turns compared to my old e350

Post a reply to: Mercedes Benz sprinter van

The Latest