Mogollon Rim Ride Report

G-man
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:08am
Mogollon Rim Ride Report

The Mogollon Rim Rendezvous was held in the scenic forests surrounding Payson Arizona on October 24-25 09. It was put on by a hard working Club known as the “Arizona Trail Riders” ATR. Since this was an AMA sanctioned Duel Sport and Adventure Ride there were riders from afar as Louisiana, Tennessee and the winner of the “Longest Distance Award”, traveled all the way from Albert Canada.

The local ELKs Lodge Payson Chapter were the gracious hosts and did an outstanding job with two filling breakfasts to get you through a long day and a tasty Saturday night dinner for the famished riders at the banquet.

Yummy…..I forgot to put granola bars in my pack, but after eating this complimentary full breakfast buffet of eggs, sausage, hash browns, fresh fruit, etc it turned out to be enough to get through the long and challenging day.

Frank--"Hurry up and take the damn picture, I'm about to spill this freaken OJ!

Don Hood--one of the event organizers who was very helpful in helping riders load their GPS and give some knowledgeable advise.

First gas stop was here. Naturally I ignored this as I thought there would be gas at Pumkin Center, which turned out not to be.

Bill and I met up with Roy King and this would be his first DS event as well as a good ride on his new bike.

Gas who needs GAS?

Bill had his eye on Jake's Corner Bar

"Ahhhhh this Pumkin Center, not the one two miles up the road with the grill and gas station? How far to the next gas stop?"

Break time

This is when Jeff noticed he lost his C/S bolt. He rode 3/4 of the first day like that!

This trail head lead to an ol Indian Cave

Any Bears in there?

Don was having a good time on his first Dual Sport Ride.

It was pretty cool in there.

There were many flavors of bikes on this ride as evidenced by this intriguing Husaberg.

Put away the Damn Cigarette! lol Thank Gawd Don packed em away or we would have lynched him!

Roy said his bike and him are officially "broke in".

Jeff was a gracious sponsor from MotoHouse KTM in CaveCreek.

http://motohouseaz.com/

This was shortly after Matt ragdolled down a nasty downhill and fubared his leg. He's struggling just to get around this corner. Soon the Kawi "Adventure Rider" would be having some fun of his own.

I need a bed, painkiller and a beer, where's the closest one?

Chris Hawkins and I had rode miles of cool forrest trail "Chip's Style"

Jeff, Chris and I headed back to see where the other riders were.

One of the smoother trails.

Historic ol Indian Mountain.

It's fun looking down at the GPS at speed then have a corner or ROCK sneak up on you....

The Ol Girl did alright and we had a good two days of riding. 150 first day 80 second day.

This is where the "Fun" began for some folks. Bill is helping out.

If you stop here you things can get ugly.

Finally!

I wanted to turn left here anyway....

Don't worry guys it's not my bike!

This thing's a PIG! Check out Tim trying to right the bike.

How many guys does it take to get a bike up this hill?

Chase Rider Tim Hilsamer was very helpful on the trail.

Just go WFO!

These Adventure Riders are nuts!

Uh OH!

This guy is struggling and over heated, I couldn't take seeing any more carnage and we needed to get going, so I thought of a way I could help. I then yelled out "TIM JUST GET ON THE FREAKEN BIKE AND RIDE IT UP!"

So he did and made it look easy.

Finally at the top of what some called "Widowmaker".....lol

Everyone is glad to be off the hill.

Megan and Tim at the Young lunchbreak. This is where she discovered her axle nut as missing and it ended her day.

The locals at the Young Community Center were very accommodating.

Saturday night ATR banquet

Frank Staley is the Prez of ATR and he along with DertGerl pulled the raffle tickets for all the many cool prizes.

Many tall tales and lies were told this night.

|
G-man
11/2/2009 1:02am
DAY TWO

Bill packing up on Sunday. Fantasy Football and Nascar awaited him....
Sorry Bill I couldn't resist. hehehehe

Mike "Ski" Elinski along a cool section of an old lava flow.

View from the cockpit of the "Scenic View." Rider on the left had a flat tire and I loaned him a tool. I would have stayed to give him pointers but he had plenty of coaches...

We got to an elevation of 7500".

This is where we encountered a log jam as some Adventure Riders were having fun with their 500 lb M/C's.

Ski was glad to join us the second day.

I thought this only happens on the I-10!

Ahhhhh this is more like it.

Sometimes ya gotta take the good with the bad and this is good.

Finally got to ride with Mike after he kept ducking me.... lol

It's interesting the riders you pick up along the way. The guy in the center is a Flagstaff Fireman who was separated from his friend and he had NO NAVIGATION equipment. He wanted to go look for his buddy, but I told him that might not be a good idea as it was getting late and he should stick with us as his partner had a GPS.
We found him shortly after this pic.

I still don't know who the guy on the right was but he could have been "Steady Eddie".

Jeff was leading on a paved road and missed the trailhead and kept going. Chris had to chase him down and this resulted in Jeff running out of gas and we found him here. I transferred some fuel from my bike to his. Shortly after that Chris came to the rescue with a can of the precious liquid.

This was the end of the trail and where we turned onto Houston Mesa Road.

It's always a good feeling when you reach check-in on the final day and you're still alive after a great and exhilarating ride.

AJ held down camp and had that "where you been all day" look. He sure was happy to see me as I was him.

Here is the Slideshow:

http://picasaweb.google.com/azmotoman/MogollonRimRendezvous#

That's all folks hope you enjoyed the pics.

G
oldx
11/2/2009 1:33am
Nice pic's. I sure wouldn't want to ride one of those KLR650's in those rocks.
jmc2
Fantasy
836th
11/2/2009 8:00am
Looks fun and lots of good food too...

The Shop

bvm111
11/2/2009 9:36am
That looks like a blast im jealous... I grew up in FH and lived in Tempe for over 20 years and have ridden in payson tons of times its nice up there... the crown king ride is a good one too...... how many non-arizonians on here do you think could guess how to pronounce "Mogollon" correctly!!!Whistling
G-man
11/2/2009 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:44pm
Thanks guys.

Ok folks this is a first for me:

1) Taking video with my still camera.
2) Editing video
3) Uploading to the Interweb>>>>

I hope this works lol

ADV BIKE FUN
Lightning78
11/2/2009 10:31pm
Soooooooo this had nothing to do with a rim for the wheels? Tongue

I was hoping for a report on some new wheels LOL
G-man
11/3/2009 8:43am
Well speaking of wheels and the more specifically the rubber stuff around the rim, I was wondering has anyone tried the Pirelli M43 Trials tire for off/road DS use?

I made the mistake of putting on a new MAXIS IT (not the desert one as I got it for a great price) and after miles of endless rockbeds the freaken thing has chunked! With BtoV around the corner, I’m thinking of making a drastic switch. I’ve heard good things about it and one of the guys in our group had one but not sure if he has done 70+ on the highway.

thx

Post a reply to: Mogollon Rim Ride Report

The Latest