Has anyone raced a Honda xr80r

jay1039
Edited Date/Time 11/9/2012 9:09am
I bought my 9 year old son a 2001 Honda xr80r dirt bike to start racing motocross. He is a beginner rider and we bought this dirt bike to let him get use to ridding. Does anyone know how this dirt bike is on a motocross track? I know it isn't the best but I want him to get use to ridding and racing. Has anyone eals raced this dirt bike? Anything would help out thank you.
|
bradmx421
8/27/2012 11:41am
It will work out to get him used to riding a bike.....he can start out on the pee wee and pitbike tracks. but for racing for a 9 year old, they need to be on a 2-stroke 85. or if he isnt too big a 65 may fit him better to start racing. Most kids in this age range are on either of these two size bikes
twister
9/1/2012 4:59am
My son and i started out trail riding and then he wanted to try racing.He had an xr 70 and i told him he could race with it and if he liked racing and tried at it i would buy him a 65.So the little bugger went and won the summer series championship.He beat all the 50cc ktm's and cobras.
The club we belonged to used to water the track right before the mini races and while the race bikes were all struggling in the mud and slippery stuff he just blasted through it like it was nothing.
twister
9/1/2012 5:11am
This was his first year of racing,

The Shop

Callaghan122
9/29/2012 10:31pm
Honestly, an xr is not a racebike. If I was you, I'd try a ktm 65, the power is less, but it's a two stroke. It has a much better suspension, and a better bike all around. Take him to a few practices at your local track on the xr, and see how he does. If he's doing good, get the 65. If not, let him get some more seat time in, and move up accordingly!
4stroke4DWIN
11/9/2012 9:09am
This is my story with my kids. I bought my son a KX65 for X-mas, I bought my daughter a CR85 expert also for X-mas, neither had ever rode a motorcycle before. 11months later my son is still terrified of the power band. Seriously it never gets into the real power. So I decided to get rid of it and put him on an xr80 so he can get more comfortable with it. I think you made the right move getting him on the XR first. On the other hand my daughter has 2 wins under her belt and a broken wrist plus she can lap her brother at will. My son is timid so I should have gone the route you went. My daughter is balls to the wall........

Post a reply to: Has anyone raced a Honda xr80r

The Latest