1987 cagiva wmx 125

Edited Date/Time 3/17/2023 5:01pm

Just picked up my dream bike a 1987 cagiva wmx found in Germany and shipped to Canada . Tried to buy one a year ago from Uk but deal didn’t work out . Found on a cagiva group on Facebook and Mario was so awesome work with he stripped bike down and put it in a s skid pallet for me . I searched all Canada and couldn’t find one or in USA either . It’s super original clean for a 1987 but need good clean up engine rebuild . Any source on nos parts plastics or anything please let me know thanks  341828F8-B080-440C-95B4-9137F92499D0.jpeg?VersionId=IFqgKsh Te61KQK6YYXe

4C46E667-38A5-410E-81A0-13F372A20205

|
bigsal
3/18/2023 2:01pm

Thats freaking awesome you've got the bike that motivates your Moto, have fun with the build and your ride after. Brahhhp!

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
3/20/2023 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2023 4:57pm

Nice find!  I have one at Mom's house n Kansas, I think it's an 1986 kind of the same shape as that.

3/23/2023 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2023 4:41pm
Electro21 wrote:

Nice find!  I have one at Mom's house n Kansas, I think it's an 1986 kind of the same shape as that.

That’s so cool I haven’t really seen or heard of many of them over here in North America’s . Is yours still running ? How long have you had it?  And please post some pics of it if you can would love to see it thanks 

The Shop

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
3/23/2023 6:03pm
Electro21 wrote:

That’s so cool I haven’t really seen or heard of many of them over here in North America’s . Is yours still running ? How long...

That’s so cool I haven’t really seen or heard of many of them over here in North America’s . Is yours still running ? How long have you had it?  And please post some pics of it if you can would love to see it thanks 

No, it hasn't been running for awhile, I bought it for like $600 when I was I was probably around 15?  I'm 44 now.  If I remember correctly my Dad was going to put a top-end into it, but never got around to it.  He passed away in 2017.  I told my mom to hold onto it so I could try and rebuild it someday if I could find parts.  She lives in Kansas and I'm in Virginia.  I'll try and get her to snap some pictures of it.

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
3/23/2023 6:08pm

There used to be a great shop in Kansas that specialized in euro bikes and old parts for them.  They were called Letko, but I'm pretty sure they closed a while back.  I bought a brand new 2007 KTM 450 SXF from them during my first deployment to Iraq.

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
3/24/2023 3:57pm

I should have some pictures tomorrow.

3/24/2023 5:09pm
Electro21 wrote:

I should have some pictures tomorrow.

That’s so cool buddy can’t wait to see the pictures!!! I really don’t think there is many over here in Canada or USA most of them in Europe. If you ever decide you might restore it let me know if you need help with finding anything or manuals I found lot of good contacts online on Facebook groups . And if you part with it one day I would really like to try restore a 86 also one day, I would make a trip down .

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
3/25/2023 11:28am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2023 12:55pm

So, it's a lot more rough than I remembered to say the least.  My Dad had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and his workshop went downhill pretty fast.  He was given 6 months to live and ended up lasting 2 years.  I imagine he was tinkering with it one day and never got back around to it.  He wouldn't have left the engine all open and exposed. He was a pack rat as well!  Might be a little difficult to do a restore on it after seeing the pictures and the parts availability.

CagivaCagiva 1Cagiva 2Cagiva 4Cagiva 6

3/25/2023 1:08pm
Electro21 wrote:
So, it's a lot more rough than I remembered to say the least.  My Dad had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and his workshop went downhill pretty...

So, it's a lot more rough than I remembered to say the least.  My Dad had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and his workshop went downhill pretty fast.  He was given 6 months to live and ended up lasting 2 years.  I imagine he was tinkering with it one day and never got back around to it.  He wouldn't have left the engine all open and exposed. He was a pack rat as well!  Might be a little difficult to do a restore on it after seeing the pictures and the parts availability.

CagivaCagiva 1Cagiva 2Cagiva 4Cagiva 6

It’s all there, frame looks clean and low hours wear on it. So just need get motor built and new plastics and suspension service . You can get aftermarket plastics and can find pretty much anything you will need to restore it . I really like it and if you never get around to it I’ll take it on and restore it . If you decided to restore it it I don’t mind helping you track down everything you need . I really enjoy the part searching and researching part of the build 

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
3/25/2023 1:37pm

Thanks buddy!  I was embarrassed to post the pictures of how dirty it is, but under the circumstances I didn't care.  I'm currently building two, 2007 CRF 250R's and going all out on my mid-life crisis bike builds, getting my bachelors degree and facing a possible deployment to Saudia Arabia in October.  Also, I had total knee replacement last April.  I'd like to rebuild the Cagiva someday just because my Dad liked it so much.  I hated it, it vibrated like crazy and I'd show up at the tracks on a bike nobody knew what it was!!!  I told my mom to hold onto the bike, so it's just a matter of me picking it up someday.

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
3/25/2023 1:58pm

Not trying to hijack your thread with a Honda, but this is my current project that is taking a long time.  I'm building two of these, one a little better than the other.  The engine that's built has a 269cc big bore kit, stage 1 cam and Tom Morgan Racing porting.  I decided to go bigger and got the Athena 280cc kit.  I wanted to send it to Tom again, but he was way backed up so I went with Tokyo Mods.  I should be getting it back from them in the next few weeks. They're doing the porting for that engine and I'll put in the bike below.  I had planned on going all out on one bike, but am ending up going all out on both!  I've had a lot of parts for one bike Cerakoted or powder coated, I'll probably do the same on the other.  TAGMX did the suspension with Race Tech parts and all of the Cerakoting.

I need to clean and reseal my garage door!!!

Honda 1Honda 2Cerakote 1Cerakote 2

3/25/2023 2:20pm
Electro21 wrote:
Not trying to hijack your thread with a Honda, but this is my current project that is taking a long time.  I'm building two of these...

Not trying to hijack your thread with a Honda, but this is my current project that is taking a long time.  I'm building two of these, one a little better than the other.  The engine that's built has a 269cc big bore kit, stage 1 cam and Tom Morgan Racing porting.  I decided to go bigger and got the Athena 280cc kit.  I wanted to send it to Tom again, but he was way backed up so I went with Tokyo Mods.  I should be getting it back from them in the next few weeks. They're doing the porting for that engine and I'll put in the bike below.  I had planned on going all out on one bike, but am ending up going all out on both!  I've had a lot of parts for one bike Cerakoted or powder coated, I'll probably do the same on the other.  TAGMX did the suspension with Race Tech parts and all of the Cerakoting.

I heard great things about Tokyo mods, Mike brown almost won the 2005 national championship on a crf 250 Tokyo mods bike . 

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
3/25/2023 3:10pm

I sent the carbs there to get the carbs modded and also got their x10 CDI. I think they’re good just pricey. Plus they are affiliated with CRFs Only. 

4/29/2023 12:48pm

Pulled parts out of crate and cleaned everything up really good and mock bike up so I can see everything together because it was shipped to me torn down . Going get frame sent off for sand blasting and powder  coating and start ordering parts . Wish I new the oem frame colour 

IMG 6612.jpeg?VersionId=EKZnmIxdMgNoc18HRBr3gJkKiN H

IMG 6614

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
5/4/2023 8:22pm
Electro21 wrote:
Not trying to hijack your thread with a Honda, but this is my current project that is taking a long time.  I'm building two of these...

I heard great things about Tokyo mods, Mike brown almost won the 2005 national championship on a crf 250 Tokyo mods bike . 

The customer service with Tokyo Mods has been unbelievable.  I ordered some stuff off of CRF's Only and had emailed Tokyo Mods as well.  I realized after seeing both websites and receiving responses from a guy named Justin, that they are CRF's Only and Tokyo Mod's are related.  I ordered a cylinder head and camshaft from CRF's Only that was backordered.  He was able to pull it and package the carb rebuild and CDI I ordered from Tokyo Mods.  I am building a 2007 CRF 250R big bore Athena kit.  I sent the cases in in case they needed to be bored and asked for cylinder porting as well.  He told me the cases didn't need to be bored and that the Cylinder Works heads have good porting and no need to change.  He could've charged me a lot more and I'd probably never have noticed the difference.  Justin is cool as shit and honest.  I'm sold on Tokyo Mods.

Sorry for the long response and unrelated to your sweet build, but they deserve to get their name out there.  Especially after several of the big name engine companies screw people over.

-Jamie  

5/5/2023 3:18pm
Electro21 wrote:

Electro21 wrote:
The customer service with Tokyo Mods has been unbelievable.  I ordered some stuff off of CRF's Only and had emailed Tokyo Mods as well.  I realized...

The customer service with Tokyo Mods has been unbelievable.  I ordered some stuff off of CRF's Only and had emailed Tokyo Mods as well.  I realized after seeing both websites and receiving responses from a guy named Justin, that they are CRF's Only and Tokyo Mod's are related.  I ordered a cylinder head and camshaft from CRF's Only that was backordered.  He was able to pull it and package the carb rebuild and CDI I ordered from Tokyo Mods.  I am building a 2007 CRF 250R big bore Athena kit.  I sent the cases in in case they needed to be bored and asked for cylinder porting as well.  He told me the cases didn't need to be bored and that the Cylinder Works heads have good porting and no need to change.  He could've charged me a lot more and I'd probably never have noticed the difference.  Justin is cool as shit and honest.  I'm sold on Tokyo Mods.

Sorry for the long response and unrelated to your sweet build, but they deserve to get their name out there.  Especially after several of the big name engine companies screw people over.

-Jamie  

I have heard great things about Tokyo mods also and they have been in the 4 stroke engine building lot longer than most of the mx engine builders . I’m pretty sure they were building fast street bike engines before mx even went 4 stroke 

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
5/14/2023 9:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2023 9:29pm

Electro21 wrote:
The customer service with Tokyo Mods has been unbelievable.  I ordered some stuff off of CRF's Only and had emailed Tokyo Mods as well.  I realized...

-Jamie  

I have heard great things about Tokyo mods also and they have been in the 4 stroke engine building lot longer than most of the mx...

I have heard great things about Tokyo mods also and they have been in the 4 stroke engine building lot longer than most of the mx engine builders . I’m pretty sure they were building fast street bike engines before mx even went 4 stroke 

Man they were great to deal with.  I ordered a big bore kit that might need a little case machining but wasn't sure.  I also wanted them to do some head porting.  They told me the cases didn't require any boring and the heads from Cylinder Works didn't need any porting.  They easily could've charged me a ton more and I would never have known.  I really like the honesty they provided me.  I did get two carbs modded by them and two CDI's as well.  Still, them being transparent and honest was cool.  

7/1/2023 9:12am
Nairb#70 wrote:

Where we at on this one?

Been finishing another bike I started befor this cagiva . Should start the build in a week or two. Really excited to get this bike running IMG 7052.jpeg?VersionId=hYH5Ah6hIfrt.Kg1gVa

romain524
7/1/2023 4:38pm
Nairb#70 wrote:

Where we at on this one?

Been finishing another bike I started befor this cagiva . Should start the build in a week or two. Really excited to get this bike running ...

Been finishing another bike I started befor this cagiva . Should start the build in a week or two. Really excited to get this bike running IMG 7052.jpeg?VersionId=hYH5Ah6hIfrt.Kg1gVa

Nice KX! Which theme are you going with?

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
7/13/2023 7:25pm

Kawi looks great too!!! Any progress on the Cagiva?  My 2007 CRF 250R is currently getting a lot of Cerakote and the engine built!

-Jamie

7/14/2023 9:25am
Electro21 wrote:

Kawi looks great too!!! Any progress on the Cagiva?  My 2007 CRF 250R is currently getting a lot of Cerakote and the engine built!

-Jamie

I’m just about done the kawi then going focus on cagiva. The kawi I’m building is for a friends 17 year old son . So a bit a rush to finish it . I’m really excited to get the cagiva done because it’s for me lol

8/1/2023 4:24pm

Motor came in a box torn apart in a million pieces but finally worked my way through it all it got it all rebuilt back together . Going put it in the bike and run it this weekend make sure all ok then tear bike down and restore the rest of the bike 

IMG 7177.jpeg?VersionId=g9ZeYCFP0Fw ITSYL2NFZNM0nZZ

Nairb#70
8/11/2023 6:57pm

Pekka Vekkonen and Corrado Maddi are getting jealous!

Post a reply to: 1987 cagiva wmx 125

The Latest