Carson Brown shredding a 1980 YZ125....and why slower bikes are better.

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
3/30/2024 12:53pm

The Bomber won the 1980 125 title. Would Carson beat him on that bike on a 1980 track? 

Magoofan wrote:
Wouldn't it be cool to have a time machine to test that theory out. I say yes.... modern riding techniques shave off time.   ...and we see...

Wouldn't it be cool to have a time machine to test that theory out.

I say yes.... modern riding techniques shave off time.   ...and we see how well CB did against Roczen in head to head races.

ummm , You are kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth here especially when you chime in on the Magoo threads. I for...

ummm , You are kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth here especially when you chime in on the Magoo threads. I for one feel Magoo on certain days was the best rider in the world no matter what era. Take Magoo in his prime riding a 2024 450 he would be just as fast if not a little faster. Same with Stu or RC riding a 1983 125 in that era. You can NEVER change God given talent. So if you think Mark Barrnett who was not only one of the most talented riders but also one of the Fiercest SOBs to ever race in our sport would not be at the level you mentioned, you're nuts. No offense but Barrnett and those guys are before my time but there's no denying there talent. Even Carson Brown would chuckle at that. 

Come on man.      I'm not knocking Barnett in any way.   He was incredible.     It's a fantasy scenario.   Someone going back in time where noone else knows the modern techniques, it gives them an edge IMO. 

This isn't a serious/realistic topic.

OW38B
Fantasy
179th
3/30/2024 1:35pm
Teejay wrote:
Carson is living proof that fast guys are fast, no matter what bike, setup, aftermarket parts etc.  So many guys at the track blame this and...

Carson is living proof that fast guys are fast, no matter what bike, setup, aftermarket parts etc.  So many guys at the track blame this and that for having an off day when the reality is if you work on skills you can go fast on anything.  Absolutely love his videos and crazy backyard track.  

So I'm racing the Vet World Champs Vintage class in 89 or so on  my 74 TM400. Rick Johnson is there that day racing a 77 Honda CR125. He was in the 1st gate Experts and I'm in the 2nd gate Intermediates, well 6 laps in he went by me lapping me so fast all I saw was a Red blur........... 

Not sure that his lap times were that far off from the 89 CR250 he was also riding that day.

jonesaustin
3/30/2024 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2024 1:50pm

this is a dangerous and even deadly sport so knowing what is possible now is the difference. talent to talent will never be known but a modern rider would annihilate the previous stars on the same bike and track, but it’s not because they are more talented. look at how crazy a back flip seemed before it was done and now it’s something many do, because they know how. does that make them better than Corey Hart? no. he had the cajones to be the first to risk it. it’s easy now but not because talent has increased.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Carson Brown shredding a 1980 YZ125....and why slower bikes are better.

The Latest