2014 Honda CR 85 Expert (brand new)

mxmat
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2015 5:40pm
2 Strokes will be back one day. Everyone knows that a modern 2 stroke will out perform any 4 stroke. Stop being sheep, the corporates have you in the palm of their hands (that translates as your cash). How much money to buy and maintain the new 4 stroke crossers, ridiculous amounts! That's why Honda aren't in a hurry to re-introduce the CR's. why should they? As long as you are paying twice as much they will carry on producing half as much.

And just for a little tease look at this brand new Honda CR 85R, it's nearly February 2014 and this bike has yet to see the track. Can't Wait.

trying being a sheperd for a real change in direction, I know I always will.

|
GrapeApe
Fantasy
331st
1/22/2014 2:02pm
I don't have any clue what you just said, but nice mini bike.
enketchum
1/22/2014 2:12pm
Yeah, I rode one of those, and then got a 250 2 stroke

But the displacement game isn't fair. You can race a 450 4 stroke with a 250 2 stroke. It's the rules, not the manufacturers

The Shop

mxmat
1/22/2014 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2014 2:25pm
enketchum wrote:
Yeah, I rode one of those, and then got a 250 2 stroke But the displacement game isn't fair. You can race a 450 4 stroke...
Yeah, I rode one of those, and then got a 250 2 stroke

But the displacement game isn't fair. You can race a 450 4 stroke with a 250 2 stroke. It's the rules, not the manufacturers
In Europe and the FIM the rules are just 3 letters - KTM

-----------------Love that Service Honda, I would choose that over a CRF any day.
newmann
1/22/2014 3:01pm
GrapeApe wrote:
I was gonna go make us some popcorn. Laughing

Nice bike though. Bought my kid a brand new 07 for Christmas back then. Feel bad about selling it as it ended up in a bad home. Sad
1/22/2014 3:47pm
Honda had developed an aluminum framed CR85 back in 2002, I beleive it was. They had it all ready to go into production and canned it at the very last minute. I never saw the prototype by I know others in Japan that had. There was plenty of banter about it in Japan that year and we thought it was a sure thing. Now we all know that is around the year that all development of Japanese 2 strokes came to a screeching halt. 2014 2 stokes are essentionally the same as 2002 models except for Yamaha with the new frame on the 125/250's.

mike
Tracktor
1/22/2014 3:49pm
A few things-

That bike is the same as an 04(?)-up Cr85. Why would you pay top $$ for old tech?

Modern 2-strokes aren't any cheaper than 4-strokes.

Many of us can afford to ride whatever we want and we still prefer thumpers.

Two stroke threads are always up for some amusement...............
1/22/2014 5:56pm
Tracktor wrote:
A few things- That bike is the same as an 04(?)-up Cr85. Why would you pay top $$ for old tech? Modern 2-strokes aren't any cheaper...
A few things-

That bike is the same as an 04(?)-up Cr85. Why would you pay top $$ for old tech?

Modern 2-strokes aren't any cheaper than 4-strokes. ...lol wut
CASH476
1/22/2014 6:03pm
Thanks for the lecture! If I follow you and buy a smoker, will that make me a shepherd or a sheep?
Tracktor
1/23/2014 9:42am
Tracktor wrote:
A few things- That bike is the same as an 04(?)-up Cr85. Why would you pay top $$ for old tech? Modern 2-strokes aren't any cheaper...
A few things-

twosmoke30 wrote:
Modern 2-strokes aren't any cheaper than 4-strokes. ...lol wut
Yeah, you're right. Those new KTMs Huskys & TMs are dirt cheap..............SMH.........
GuyB
Fantasy
1650th
1/23/2014 9:46am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2014 9:47am
GrapeApe wrote:
I'll second that.

Could the OP try that again, but in English this time? Wink
1/23/2014 9:50am
newmann wrote:
I was gonna go make us some popcorn. :laugh: Nice bike though. Bought my kid a brand new 07 for Christmas back then. Feel bad about...
I was gonna go make us some popcorn. Laughing

Nice bike though. Bought my kid a brand new 07 for Christmas back then. Feel bad about selling it as it ended up in a bad home. Sad
Newmann's Society for the prevention of two-stroke cruelty.

(NSPTSC)

Kind of has a nice ring to it.

WinkSmile
mxmat
1/23/2014 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2014 2:42pm
Still slower than a four stroke...
Just had the bike at the track today and wow the 2 stroke is tonnes faster. That's why I made the post last night before we tested today as I knew this new CR would blow the wheels of our last years 2013 CRF 150.

Here's the results.

Both of the bikes lap times where taken today and if your interseted both the cr and crf had 2 session each at only 5 minutes.

Honda CRF's fastest lap laid down - 54.2 seconds.

Honda CR's fastest lap laid down - 52.8 seconds.

These results are from a 13 year old racer who ran the CRF last year and well accustomed to the bike. This was his first day on the CR, had to run it in for 15 miles first and then said after his fast lap "I didn't want to go completely mad as I would like to have more time to run it in and get used to it". I think he needs a litle adjusting to get used to that instant raw power.

Ok the CRF is worn a little bit and the new CR has been raced tuned ( an adjustable cylinder head combustion volume, pro circuit pipe, V-Force reeds, ported and polished and expanded cylinder and carb, re-valved and capped suspension with much stiffer spring rates). all this has added 7 horses at the rear wheel, the dyno showed 28 hp that's a third more up from the standard 21 hp.

Sounds like a cheat but It all came in £200 ($330) cheaper than a new standard CRF. Proof to me that 2 strokes are far better. I expect that all who favour the 4 strokes have never been fortunate enough to experience a modern built 2 stroke. That's the shame of the greedy corporate manufacturers I was trying to explain in my original post.

And to add salt to the wounds of you who ride those 4 stroke tractors, " I'll bet anyone that this rider will take off at least another second from the lap time next ride out"

Conclusion - NO CONTEST.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
331st
1/23/2014 2:00pm
I believe that is exactly the kind of real world scientific testing the manufacturers have been waiting for. In light of the overwhelming evidence, they will have no choice but to switch back to 2 strokes now. Congrats, man. You did it.
1/23/2014 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2014 2:06pm
this thread is a prime example why newbees should have limited posting options and not able to start threads for a limited time
mxmat
1/23/2014 2:21pm
mototed 82 wrote:
this thread is a prime example why newbees should have limited posting options and not able to start threads for a limited time
mmm !

I suspect mototed works for KTM. You know the bikes, they're the ones you see at the side of the tracks blown up and broken all the time.

In the UK, KTM stands for "Keep Taking Money"
Socket946
1/23/2014 2:24pm
mxmat wrote:
Just had the bike at the track today and wow the 2 stroke is tonnes faster. That's why I made the post last night before we...
Just had the bike at the track today and wow the 2 stroke is tonnes faster. That's why I made the post last night before we tested today as I knew this new CR would blow the wheels of our last years 2013 CRF 150.

Here's the results.

Both of the bikes lap times where taken today and if your interseted both the cr and crf had 2 session each at only 5 minutes.

These results are from a 13 year old racer who ran the CRF last year and well accustomed to the bike. This was his first day on the CR, had to run it in for 15 miles first and then said after his fast lap "I didn't want to go completely mad as I would like to have more time to run it in and get used to it". I think he needs a litle adjusting to get used to that instant raw power.

Ok the CRF is worn a little bit and the new CR has been raced tuned ( an adjustable cylinder head combustion volume, pro circuit pipe, V-Force reeds, ported and polished and expanded cylinder and carb, re-valved and capped suspension with much stiffer spring rates). all this has added 7 horses at the rear wheel, the dyno showed 28 hp that's a third more up from the standard 21 hp.

Sounds like a cheat but It all came in £200 ($330) cheaper than a new standard CRF. Proof to me that 2 strokes are far better. I expect that all who favour the 4 strokes have never been fortunate enough to experience a modern built 2 stroke. That's the shame of the greedy corporate manufacturers I was trying to explain in my original post.

And to add salt to the wounds of you who ride those 4 stroke tractors, " I'll bet anyone that this rider will take off at least another second from the lap time next ride out"

Conclusion - NO CONTEST.
13 year olds get faster every year. To compare lap times from a year ago is a farce. As kids develop and mature, they get quicker. Hence why kids aren't pros at 9 years old.
mxmat
1/23/2014 2:29pm
mxmat wrote:
Just had the bike at the track today and wow the 2 stroke is tonnes faster. That's why I made the post last night before we...

Here's the results.

Conclusion - NO CONTEST.
Socket946 wrote:
13 year olds get faster every year. To compare lap times from a year ago is a farce. As kids develop and mature, they get quicker...
13 year olds get faster every year. To compare lap times from a year ago is a farce. As kids develop and mature, they get quicker. Hence why kids aren't pros at 9 years old.
1/23/2014 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2014 3:02pm
mxmat wrote:
mmm ! I suspect mototed works for KTM. You know the bikes, they're the ones you see at the side of the tracks blown up and...
mmm !

I suspect mototed works for KTM. You know the bikes, they're the ones you see at the side of the tracks blown up and broken all the time.

lol ive a few ideas what "mxmat" stands for in the world of vital pmsl
Tracktor
1/23/2014 3:25pm
mototed 82 wrote:
mxmat wrote:
mmm ! I suspect mototed works for KTM. You know the bikes, they're the ones you see at the side of the tracks blown up and...
mmm !

Yet KTM is leading the way on two-stroke sales. So which is it? Are they awesome or crap, I'm confused.

I have an 85 rider also but we are on YZs. He tried the CRF150r and thought it was fun but too heavy. Does this mean all four-strokes suck and we should all be on 2-strokes? No, it just means a 12 year old kids prefers YZs..............
mxmat
1/23/2014 3:27pm
mxmat wrote:
mmm !

mototed 82 wrote:
lol ive a few ideas what "mxmat" stands for in the world of vital pmsl
So you do work for KTM or perhaps just ride one.

To be honest we very nearly bought a 2K14 KTM 85 (clean looking bike).

Interesting to see how they compare when the race series start up this year.
mxmat
1/23/2014 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2014 4:06pm
mototed 82 wrote:
mxmat wrote:
mmm !

Tracktor wrote:
Yet KTM is leading the way on two-stroke sales. So which is it? Are they awesome or crap, I'm confused. I have an 85 rider also...
Yet KTM is leading the way on two-stroke sales. So which is it? Are they awesome or crap, I'm confused.

I have an 85 rider also but we are on YZs. He tried the CRF150r and thought it was fun but too heavy. Does this mean all four-strokes suck and we should all be on 2-strokes? No, it just means a 12 year old kids prefers YZs..............
Good point, KTM and Kawaski have both just revamped their 85cc models for 2014. KTM with hydraulic clutch, 2 radiators and state of the art new engine. Kawasaki with 20% more power. Before Kawasaki got back in the game, KTM where the only one of the main 5 developing the 2 Stroke and that's why they are topping the sales. I only hope that Yamaha follow suit and revamp their 2 strokes next year and then one day perhaps Honda will start production of the 2 Stroke again.

Let's face it we all know 2 Strokes are far more responsive and much more fun, no wonder the kids love them and seem to develop better when they go through the 125 route rather than straight onto a 250. Why are Honda producing the CRF150 when the kids have finally realised and turned away from them. Six, seven years ago they all had CRF 150's now you hardly see them. That's what confuses me.
Barrett57
1/23/2014 4:03pm
mxmat wrote:

Here's the results.

Conclusion - NO CONTEST.
I'm sure everyone who reads this will now buy a 2 stroke.
mxmat
1/23/2014 4:13pm
mxmat wrote:

Here's the results.

Conclusion - NO CONTEST.
Barrett57 wrote:
I'm sure everyone who reads this will now buy a 2 stroke.
All Motocross Racers have to be a little bit crazy but a good kind of crazy, if you know what I mean
48dirtbikekid
1/23/2014 5:01pm
Sounds like you're on a roll in the right direction, good to hear. I do have 1 question though, you were able to make all those conclusions with 2 five minute sessions? Track seems short, so is it AX/SX style? What about outdoor loam and sand? If I was you, I'd test everywhere before you get you heart set on what is "the best" either way good luck to you
mxmat
1/23/2014 5:16pm
Sounds like you're on a roll in the right direction, good to hear. I do have 1 question though, you were able to make all those...
Sounds like you're on a roll in the right direction, good to hear. I do have 1 question though, you were able to make all those conclusions with 2 five minute sessions? Track seems short, so is it AX/SX style? What about outdoor loam and sand? If I was you, I'd test everywhere before you get you heart set on what is "the best" either way good luck to you
Believe it or not, it was a sand track, usually about a minute and 40 seconds but because it is so wet in the UK right now, the lower section is not raceable and we had to re route the track. It's hard this time of year to get a good riding session in anyways. You're right that only after several circuits and actual competetive timing will we be able to come to a real conclusion. But you have to admit a acouple of seconds off only a minute is a huge difference.

( I haven't seen anything of Cheech and Chong in years, now that's cool)

Post a reply to: 2014 Honda CR 85 Expert (brand new)

The Latest