Share your off-road bike setup

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
9/7/2023 8:54am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2023 8:55am

You'd be surprised where this 460 lb beast will take you.

Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

image-20230907084442-2

image-20230907084435-1

image-20230907085433-3

Chance1216
9/10/2023 8:51pm

01 CR 250

Devol suspension. 
13/51 gearing 

IMS 3.7 tank

FMF Fatty ( just ordered a Gnarly) 

Steahly 12 oz flywheel weight. 

It’s a work in progress. Since I’ll be down awhile, I figured I might as well dive in head first  and, go a bit further with it. I mainly ride single track in the PNW. I’ll post more pics as it progresses. 
cool thread btw. 
35DA0DA2-1A58-4600-B492-73CFE97B6D6A.jpeg?VersionId=G2OpgB8NmcOYQ8Uzq5DntkZcs

Mx391
10/10/2023 7:51am

What tire pressure yall running for east coast woods races? Specifically MX34 with thick tubes

The Shop

Kyle978
10/10/2023 11:42am
Mx391 wrote:

What tire pressure yall running for east coast woods races? Specifically MX34 with thick tubes

I would think most people would be running mousses? I find mousses work really, really well on tree roots and rocks - there's more give and less rebound keeping the tire more planted. And you can confidently smack into them without worrying about a pinch flat. I am more willing to weight my rear wheel, keep the front light and let the rear tire/rear shock do the work. 

10/10/2023 3:06pm
Mx391 wrote:

I typically run 11-12 in the front with 3mm tubes and 9-10 in the rear with 4mm tubes.

Some places I will run a nitro mouse in the rear. Loretta Lynns for example is mouse worthy. There's a huge amount of exposed, sharp rocks there that will end your ride real quick. 

11/15/2023 6:17pm

IMG 7037IMG 0785 0.jpeg?VersionId=5NKAju1Xp808IMG 0790 Couple upgrades! Added pastrana bend bars and had Enzo work their magic on the suspension! Also switched up the gearing to 13/48 still not sure if I should go 14/48 but seems fine for now just wish it had a little more top end without reving to the moon! 

Thought I’d add a picture of what it looked like when I got it a couple years ago  

CSAR FE
11/16/2023 12:20pm
Couple upgrades! Added pastrana bend bars and had Enzo work their magic on the suspension! Also switched up the gearing to 13/48 still not sure if...

IMG 7037IMG 0785 0.jpeg?VersionId=5NKAju1Xp808IMG 0790 Couple upgrades! Added pastrana bend bars and had Enzo work their magic on the suspension! Also switched up the gearing to 13/48 still not sure if I should go 14/48 but seems fine for now just wish it had a little more top end without reving to the moon! 

Thought I’d add a picture of what it looked like when I got it a couple years ago  

Try 14/52

11/16/2023 2:28pm
Couple upgrades! Added pastrana bend bars and had Enzo work their magic on the suspension! Also switched up the gearing to 13/48 still not sure if...

CSAR FE wrote:

Try 14/52

Looking at gear calculator that’s less than .5 mph difference in every gear not sure what I’d gain by doing that other than lose .5 mph of top speed. Going to 14/48 would be a gain of 7mph that would help in some of the longer wash sections on some of the rides we do. 

CSAR FE
11/17/2023 6:27am

Cool man, good luck then. 

TalinH112
11/17/2023 7:52am
CSAR FE wrote:

Not sure how but I think you offended the man. 😂

11/17/2023 9:13am
CSAR FE wrote:

TalinH112 wrote:

Not sure how but I think you offended the man. 😂

Just asking why not offended at all. I’m all for trying new things just looking for some clarification on why he thinks it would be better? 

CSAR FE
11/18/2023 6:32am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2023 6:34am

Why would I be offended? I could care less what gearing you run.

mica.lagross
Fantasy
2330th
11/19/2023 2:08am
Mx391 wrote:

Kyle978 wrote:
I would think most people would be running mousses? I find mousses work really, really well on tree roots and rocks - there's more give and...

I would think most people would be running mousses? I find mousses work really, really well on tree roots and rocks - there's more give and less rebound keeping the tire more planted. And you can confidently smack into them without worrying about a pinch flat. I am more willing to weight my rear wheel, keep the front light and let the rear tire/rear shock do the work. 

It depends if I'm riding the technical singletrack or more open trails. I run a Tubliss setup and on the singletrack I'm usually 6-8 front and 4-6 rear (alot of slab and shale). For open trails usually 8 rear and 10 front

joe846
11/19/2023 4:20pm

Selling soon to switch to Yamaha but 2023 fc450 set up for off road racing has been great.
IMG 0893 0IMG 0892.jpeg?VersionId=arMhsq4J

sandman768
12/12/2023 6:31am

Just finishing up my 300Sx conversion to GNCC setup… just picked up a used Xc tank. So much crap mounted on the bars, Challenging to get my Cycra”s mounted up cleanly…waiting on an FMF gnarly pipe.. I like to lug a gear high in the woods…the FMF fatty is good for Mx, but I want a better low to mid pipe for the woods.IMG 5898 0.jpeg?VersionId=j9gJzC1xJUVkga2

dmcgill
1/6/2024 9:21pm

2009 Honda CRF450X - 258 hours

I bought this bike pretty much new from JCR Speed Shop in 2018. I've raced it in BITD and NHHA. I prefer more high-speed stuff and that is where this bike shines. I plan on checking out some more local MRAN races this year. Kind of tired of spending a million dollars every race with the bigger series. I'm probably going to pick up another one here soon, there are times when having only one bike can be a bummer. 

Ported X head by Pro Circuit with DelWest titanium intakes and copper valve seats. JCR cam. Other than that, all OEM. Clutch is stock, Hinson cover because it's much stronger. JCR carb mods (accelerator pump), R&D fuel screw adjuster, gold foil (PC) fuel and coolant lines. Gold foil lined IMS 3.2 gallon drybreak tank. Pro Circuit T6 JCR race exhaust - it has a titanium muffler body, titanium mid pipe, stainless dual-wall header. This exhaust has a different profile header, different size core and shorter muffler body than what you can buy. 

Pro Circuit 450X JCR Baja spec suspension. OEM stuff just revalved for me. Acerbis skid plate. TwinWall 996 bend with the crossbar removed and Scotts Stabilizer installed over a BRP clamp. Works Connection Elite clutch perch is one of my favorite parts of this bike, it is so good. I run AME full-waffle grips and Renthal donuts. Acerbis Uniko handguards. Braking wave rotor in the rear and OEM in the front. Burnt Bronze cerakoted hubs, and I run 15/47 gearing right now but will be switching back to 15/51 here shortly. Renthal TwinRing sprocket and DID ERV7 X-Ring chain. I used to run an ERV3 but they don't make it any more I think.

BRP chain guide and the swingarm was modified by RaceCo USA. They reinforce the chain guide mount I believe and add gussets. DID DirtStar wheels, OEM spokes. I'm probably forgetting some things but those are the main parts. I absolutely love this bike, for the desert I don't think anything will ever be made that's better. I've ridden a full race Gen 2 450X and hated it. That was some years ago though, they probably have it dialed in now. Just a different bike is all, I do wish this bike had the six-speed for sure lol. This bike was built by Joe Lloyd at JCR Speed Shop and even though I'm not local to him anymore he is the only one who touches it. I have receipts going back to 2018, that I never in my life want to add up. Don't care though! She rips!

A13F3603-E20E-4D30-A263-5C01CA0B85C7 0.jpeg?VersionId=

1/9/2024 1:48am

PXL 20231231 134345867 0

This started life as a 2017 KTM EXC 250.

Last model of KTMs road legal carb 2 strokes sold in Europe with the newer style of frame, counterbalanced motor etc.

I believe only the main engine components, frame and swingarm are stock after 300+ hours. For the mods I've done to make it the ultimate do anything bike:

Most obvious is a 2020+ desert tank, with 2020+ subframe, seat, plastics and frame guards as well as lots of little bits to swap it over. Just nice for a change after 6 year on the same bike.

Cone valve forks - Had to take matters into my own hands as the setup I got wasn't working for me (not official WP settings, local guy) finally got to a place where backed out it's nice over the rocks and cranked up it's good in the sand.

Billet clamps - I've never liked the cast KTM clamps, mostly because I don't like the way cast metal looks but the billet clamps are much more round where they grip the forks and feel like a much more premium part.

Revalved shock with a bladder - holds up really nice in all conditions, I'm a fan of PDS in the harder stuff and after a few years tweaking clickers I got a setting I'm happy with in fast stuff too.

Motomaster GP brakes - the most aggressive brake setup I could find, I have a nerve issue in my right hand so need strong brakes when it goes weak.

Two wheel sets - one 21-18 with mousses and one 21-19 with soft terrain tyres on.

Rider triangle tweaks - new bars, footpegs, levers, grips etc

Headlight and tail light + licence plate holder for road legality

For the motor I'm running a Vertex piston and a high compression head. I still have the mikuni but with comprehensive jetting changes and it's in a really good place.

Two exhaust set ups that I can mix and match for where I'm riding but at this point I'm pretty set on just the stock front pipe with the big FMF silencer. I also have a pc front and pc shorty but I prefer the stock+FMF pretty much everywhere.

I have a few sprockets to change but I find the 13 front almost always works and a 48 or 50 rear, believe it's close to stock and it works for everything so unless I want to be clicking off 100mph I don't change it.

In 2023 alone it's done almost every kind of riding possible, from sea level to 10,000ft. It was my only transport for two months using it as a dual sport, I've been trail riding in many different countries and conditions. I've strapped luggage on and camped off it. I did a hard enduro race and many practice days, raced an absolute mudder of a hare scramble. Rode MXGP tracks at Lommel and St Jean D'Angely and then to 80mph+ in the Sahara desert and jumping in the dunes.

It does everything I could possibly ask, yes sometimes a 300 would be better, or a 350, or a 450/500 in the desert, or a dedicated MX bike on the track... but if there was a track that went from hard enduro to desert to Mx to a trail ride and then a 10 minute cruise on the road to some single track I'd be willing to bet I'd personally be fastest and most comfortable on this bike.

Jayson427
1/10/2024 6:02am
dmcgill wrote:
2009 Honda CRF450X - 258 hours I bought this bike pretty much new from JCR Speed Shop in 2018. I've raced it in BITD and NHHA...

I bought this bike pretty much new from JCR Speed Shop in 2018. I've raced it in BITD and NHHA. I prefer more high-speed stuff and that is where this bike shines. I plan on checking out some more local MRAN races this year. Kind of tired of spending a million dollars every race with the bigger series. I'm probably going to pick up another one here soon, there are times when having only one bike can be a bummer. 

Ported X head by Pro Circuit with DelWest titanium intakes and copper valve seats. JCR cam. Other than that, all OEM. Clutch is stock, Hinson cover because it's much stronger. JCR carb mods (accelerator pump), R&D fuel screw adjuster, gold foil (PC) fuel and coolant lines. Gold foil lined IMS 3.2 gallon drybreak tank. Pro Circuit T6 JCR race exhaust - it has a titanium muffler body, titanium mid pipe, stainless dual-wall header. This exhaust has a different profile header, different size core and shorter muffler body than what you can buy. 

Pro Circuit 450X JCR Baja spec suspension. OEM stuff just revalved for me. Acerbis skid plate. TwinWall 996 bend with the crossbar removed and Scotts Stabilizer installed over a BRP clamp. Works Connection Elite clutch perch is one of my favorite parts of this bike, it is so good. I run AME full-waffle grips and Renthal donuts. Acerbis Uniko handguards. Braking wave rotor in the rear and OEM in the front. Burnt Bronze cerakoted hubs, and I run 15/47 gearing right now but will be switching back to 15/51 here shortly. Renthal TwinRing sprocket and DID ERV7 X-Ring chain. I used to run an ERV3 but they don't make it any more I think.

BRP chain guide and the swingarm was modified by RaceCo USA. They reinforce the chain guide mount I believe and add gussets. DID DirtStar wheels, OEM spokes. I'm probably forgetting some things but those are the main parts. I absolutely love this bike, for the desert I don't think anything will ever be made that's better. I've ridden a full race Gen 2 450X and hated it. That was some years ago though, they probably have it dialed in now. Just a different bike is all, I do wish this bike had the six-speed for sure lol. This bike was built by Joe Lloyd at JCR Speed Shop and even though I'm not local to him anymore he is the only one who touches it. I have receipts going back to 2018, that I never in my life want to add up. Don't care though! She rips!

I have pretty close to the same bike, but without the head and cam, that I did and Joe at JCR Speedshop (MotoXeno on here) helped me finish. The thing is awesome. I had set it up as a dual sport, and even got a CA plate on it, but I am planning on stripping a good portion of the dual sport stuff off of it in the near future to free up some space, take away some potential failure points, and just make it more simple.

i am actually just starting a build on a ‘24 CRF450X that JCR Speedshop is helping with me as well, and just like you I am trying not to dwell on the cost.

i’ll get some pics of the Gen 1 on here, along with the Gen 2 build soon

Pirate421
2/4/2024 2:35pm

IMG 6776 0.jpeg?VersionId=uv

2020 250XC. Mx tech spring kit, coober Ecu, other than that besides plastics and stuff it’s stock. Love this bike set up perfectly works great in the woods and fun on the track too.

Chance1216
2/18/2024 7:14pm

Getting closer to how I want it. 
Since my previous pic, I’ve added a Devol skid plate, E-Line carbon fiber pipe guard, full wrap hand guards, kickstand, IMS Pro pegs, Race Tech titanium coolant catch tank, 10mm power valve spacer and, more titanium. I have to find better side case covers. I’m not much of a Boyesen fan and, the sand cast HRC replica covers I had were kinda cheesy as well. 

E963C62A-22B1-4323-85F8-79DEDA920A3B.jpeg?VersionId=0Ntc7Ssvx1Ux5ZdsbYO

7I3N
2/20/2024 7:07am

2024 EX450F.  

GasGas.jpg?VersionId=  

TeamGreen
2/22/2024 4:15pm
dmcgill wrote:
2009 Honda CRF450X - 258 hours I bought this bike pretty much new from JCR Speed Shop in 2018. I've raced it in BITD and NHHA...

This is the Gen II variant of your bike. 
IMG 1337 1 PC Suspension, RX head/ECU/Water Pump/Rt Side Radiator/Map Switch…Scott’s Damper…Renthal this-n-that…BRP here-n-there…swing arm/chain guide reinforced by RaceCo…DID something 7 chain…Honda oils…VP fuel…Baja D lights/frame mt, Kenda tired/Nitro bibs, PCI radio PTT…Speedo-computer removed…

All of which was done my JCR/JCR Speed…of course! 

joe846
2/24/2024 5:26pm

Almost all set up on the 2024 YZ450F after selling the FC450. Still trying a few things here and there but should get to race it soon if it ever stops raining every weekend. 
IMG 2202.jpeg?VersionId=MCtt3

Jayson427
2/28/2024 6:40am
dmcgill wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
This is the Gen II variant of your bike.  PC Suspension, RX head/ECU/Water Pump/Rt Side Radiator/Map Switch…Scott’s Damper…Renthal this-n-that…BRP here-n-there…swing arm/chain guide reinforced by RaceCo…DID something...

IMG 1337 1 PC Suspension, RX head/ECU/Water Pump/Rt Side Radiator/Map Switch…Scott’s Damper…Renthal this-n-that…BRP here-n-there…swing arm/chain guide reinforced by RaceCo…DID something 7 chain…Honda oils…VP fuel…Baja D lights/frame mt, Kenda tired/Nitro bibs, PCI radio PTT…Speedo-computer removed…

Similar direction as yours TeamGreen, with mucho help from Xeno. Still in progress…..

IMG 1157 0.jpeg?VersionId=ZjIhkCx xwixFgHPiSm rJVZF6GRKt

Jayson427
2/28/2024 6:42am
dmcgill wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
This is the Gen II variant of your bike.  PC Suspension, RX head/ECU/Water Pump/Rt Side Radiator/Map Switch…Scott’s Damper…Renthal this-n-that…BRP here-n-there…swing arm/chain guide reinforced by RaceCo…DID something...

Jayson427 wrote:
Similar direction as yours TeamGreen, with mucho help from Xeno. Still in progress…..

IMG 1157 0.jpeg?VersionId=ZjIhkCx xwixFgHPiSm rJVZF6GRKt

IMG 1299.jpeg?VersionId=CWO

Post a reply to: Share your off-road bike setup

The Latest