Vuillemin BooKoo CR250 2005 actual Race Bike

JC116_MTL
2/25/2024 6:17pm
JC116_MTL wrote:
The project is under way. The bike is in overall good shape and just needs a good servicing and a deep cleaning. Pulled the engine from...

The project is under way. The bike is in overall good shape and just needs a good servicing and a deep cleaning.

Pulled the engine from the frame for vapor blasting (motor as a whole, properly plugging crucial openings). The frame will be stripped bare as well, I will be taking my time to clean every nook and cranny. Aluminum brightener will be my friend here. 

-I have acquired red Applied triple clamps from a fellow member; the anodizing will be stripped and replica 'A' Applied stickers will be made. With the finished product maybe I will have them anodized clear? I think that's a thing, I'll have to do some research.

-Anything that could use refreshing will get the required attention. Probably going to disassemble both brake systems and have the master cylinders vapor blasted as well. 'BRAKING' rotors as well.

-For the time being I'll take this FMF pipe and bring it to a local plating shop to strip the nickel plating and make my own 'factory fatty'. 

I believe one can still order new TAG handlebars, I can't do a fatbar.... absolutely need a crossbar. 

image-20240222165459-1PXL 20240219 210433668.jpg?VersionId=ikrcqu41otncClFgIxKu0CsAcM3Qd4PXL 20240219 234454104.jpg?VersionId=idpPnTFCUP7 t.1s8dpuNZPXL 20240219 234511702

Chance1216 wrote:
Might be a good idea to get some Velcro strips  under the shrouds to protect the frame from getting gouged.  It’s cheap and, works well.   

Might be a good idea to get some Velcro strips  under the shrouds to protect the frame from getting gouged.  It’s cheap and, works well. 

6034F321-9BC4-4661-B141-C7DACFAACCBF

Thanks for the heads up! - I actually just did this the other week to my TM. I used some thin foam pad/tape (~2mm thickness) and over that some 3M clear vinyl to secure the foam pad to the frame. Definitely need this cushion to counter friction between the shroud and frame. When I do it to this bike I'll be sure to include to some pics

JC116_MTL
2/25/2024 6:24pm
seanmx57 wrote:
You can buy a raw metal fatty from FMF. People say that the nickel plated pipes crack easier. I don't know if it's true but stripping...

You can buy a raw metal fatty from FMF. People say that the nickel plated pipes crack easier. I don't know if it's true but stripping plating is a PITA.

Congrats on getting it back. I have some trick Showa A kit shocks for that bike I gotta list for sale again.

True, I did see that FMF had one factory fatty for this bike in stock. However, being picky as I am, I noticed it's their new generation of pipe with the logo on a flattened part of the pipe ... for the sake of 'restoring' this bike to its former glory, I think I will pick up one of the available ones on eBay that are new old stock, and don't have the flattened logo. 

And thanks Sean, as for the a-kit suspension, I will PM you

JC116_MTL
2/25/2024 6:28pm

Took everything down to the bare frame today. Everything came apart nicely- thanks to me having greased everything 3 years ago. The air filter has not been cleaned once since I sold it to the last guy. No dirt infiltration though, so that's good. 

PXL 20240225 201515305

seanmx57
2/25/2024 7:09pm
seanmx57 wrote:
You can buy a raw metal fatty from FMF. People say that the nickel plated pipes crack easier. I don't know if it's true but stripping...

You can buy a raw metal fatty from FMF. People say that the nickel plated pipes crack easier. I don't know if it's true but stripping plating is a PITA.

Congrats on getting it back. I have some trick Showa A kit shocks for that bike I gotta list for sale again.

JC116_MTL wrote:
True, I did see that FMF had one factory fatty for this bike in stock. However, being picky as I am, I noticed it's their new...

True, I did see that FMF had one factory fatty for this bike in stock. However, being picky as I am, I noticed it's their new generation of pipe with the logo on a flattened part of the pipe ... for the sake of 'restoring' this bike to its former glory, I think I will pick up one of the available ones on eBay that are new old stock, and don't have the flattened logo. 

And thanks Sean, as for the a-kit suspension, I will PM you

Best way to get me is email

Seanmx57@yahoo.com

I think I have a new fatty for an 05 to 07 stashed I don't need as well. I bought some bills pipes.

The Shop

4/1/2024 12:01pm

This bike is sweet! Any plans to get an ignition mapped for the engine setup? I'd be curious to see how it runs with a stock one. And I would love to see this thing done up with kit suspension. Definitely an awesome find and stoked you got it back after all this time.

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
4/1/2024 6:12pm
JC116_MTL wrote:
Repacked the silencer, it definitely needed it. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/26/499610/s1200_PXL_20210513_020337909.jpg[/img] Spent quite a while cleaning the air box, subframe, and frame (didn't remove the engine however). [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/26/499611/s1200_PXL_20210512_044748397.jpg[/img] Finally...
Repacked the silencer, it definitely needed it.

Spent quite a while cleaning the air box, subframe, and frame (didn't remove the engine however).

Finally cleaned, maintained, and replaced everything that immediately needed it, and buttoned everything back up. Put some of my old # plates on it just for a track day.
Notable work:
-Suspension front & back completely rebuilt by my boss (had his own suspension company up until a few years ago)
-New OEM kickstarter assembly (old part was very floppy)
-New MX33 tires
-Full greasing of chassis components (including axle adjuster bolts: can't forget those!)
-New wheel bearings
-Inspection / adjustment of the RC valve componentry (all was functioning well)

New OEM-style carb lines from Helix racing. Cannot go wrong with this look.

Freshly repacked, the sound was absolutely mean.

forgot to order a proper breather hose (oops!)

A big thank you to Bench Racer (@benchracerofficial on Insta) for the reproduction AMA tech inspection sticker. I actually ordered two other ones that were bigger/wider, and he threw this extra small one into my order. It turns out this one fit the style of sticker that was on the bike 15+ years ago.

Also ordered a replica frame model sticker from an eBay user based in the UK for this bike and my '07 125 (build thread coming soon). The quality is excellent, very very close to original. I know the race bike back in the day did not have this frame tag, but I found it was just appropriate for this bike.... it deserved it.

Awesome build man!  Do you have a link where you got the black and silver frame sticker?  I may have overlooked it if you posted it. Looking for (2) for a couple 2007 CRF’s I’m rebuilding and haven’t been able to find them. The AMA tech inspection sticker is cool tool!

JC116_MTL
4/10/2024 2:34pm
This bike is sweet! Any plans to get an ignition mapped for the engine setup? I'd be curious to see how it runs with a stock...

This bike is sweet! Any plans to get an ignition mapped for the engine setup? I'd be curious to see how it runs with a stock one. And I would love to see this thing done up with kit suspension. Definitely an awesome find and stoked you got it back after all this time.

Thanks, yes I do plan on getting another JD Ignition setup directly from Italy (or whichever North American importer they use). From what I can tell on their website the ignition box for this bike still exists. They are pricey but necessary. 

That being said, I was advised from a friend/engine builder that the more modifications an engine like this has, the more there is a need for an aftermarket CDI to handle the advance in the timing curve. The inverse is also true, an aftermarket ignition system on a stock engine can be futile. 

I will ride the bike first and see how it is with the stock CDI. This time around I will definitely set up the power valve correctly, which I had not checked in the past.

JC116_MTL
4/10/2024 2:46pm
JC116_MTL wrote:
Repacked the silencer, it definitely needed it. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/26/499610/s1200_PXL_20210513_020337909.jpg[/img] Spent quite a while cleaning the air box, subframe, and frame (didn't remove the engine however). [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/26/499611/s1200_PXL_20210512_044748397.jpg[/img] Finally...

Spent quite a while cleaning the air box, subframe, and frame (didn't remove the engine however).

Finally cleaned, maintained, and replaced everything that immediately needed it, and buttoned everything back up. Put some of my old # plates on it just for a track day.
Notable work:
-Suspension front & back completely rebuilt by my boss (had his own suspension company up until a few years ago)
-New MX33 tires
-Full greasing of chassis components (including axle adjuster bolts: can't forget those!)
-New wheel bearings

A big thank you to Bench Racer (@benchracerofficial on Insta) for the reproduction AMA tech inspection sticker. I actually ordered two other ones that were bigger/wider, and he threw this extra small one into my order. It turns out this one fit the style of sticker that was on the bike 15+ years ago.

Also ordered a replica frame model sticker from an eBay user based in the UK for this bike and my '07 125 (build thread coming soon). The quality is excellent, very very close to original. I know the race bike back in the day did not have this frame tag, but I found it was just appropriate for this bike.... it deserved it.

Electro21 wrote:
Awesome build man!  Do you have a link where you got the black and silver frame sticker?  I may have overlooked it if you posted it...

Awesome build man!  Do you have a link where you got the black and silver frame sticker?  I may have overlooked it if you posted it. Looking for (2) for a couple 2007 CRF’s I’m rebuilding and haven’t been able to find them. The AMA tech inspection sticker is cool tool!

Thanks! As for the frame sticker, I got them from eBay user hondamonkey14 based in the UK, the quality is impeccable. Unfortunately he does not seem to have any listings up at this time....

I know there is another guy from Europe on Facebook (look up: Vin Plate Khneisser) who makes a large variety of Honda replica frame tags, he posts a lot on CR fb groups. Look into him! 

JC116_MTL
4/10/2024 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2024 5:18pm

Making some slow progress, but progress nonetheless..! 

-I decided I wasn't crazy about the state of the wheels that came with the bike. They are Excels laced to original hubs; the yellow Excel writing has been completely rubbed off over the years. Overall they weren't in terrible condition, but I decided I will build a new set from scratch (new original Honda hubs, Excel rims and spokes, BRAKING rotors). Sold this set of wheels on marketplace whole.

-Time for vapour blasting of the engine. Lathe'd up some caps to block all openings, and threw it into my boss's newly setup home cabinet. 

-Some special things I didn't notice when I first owned this bike: Titanium bolts on the front power valve cover. The circular-allen head caps on the front power valve cover have been welded! I'll open it up and see what purpose this would serve. "BJ101" engraving as well, no clue who this could've been from. 

-DV marking on the head! Another thing I previously missed

Some parts I have slowly been gathering over the past weeks: such as Applied clamps, a new OEM front hub, new '23 CRF pegs, etc. Will be posting more soon. 

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
4/11/2024 8:16pm
JC116_MTL wrote:

Notable work:
-New MX33 tires
-New wheel bearings

Electro21 wrote:
Awesome build man!  Do you have a link where you got the black and silver frame sticker?  I may have overlooked it if you posted it...

JC116_MTL wrote:
Thanks! As for the frame sticker, I got them from eBay user hondamonkey14 based in the UK, the quality is impeccable. Unfortunately he does not seem...

Thanks! As for the frame sticker, I got them from eBay user hondamonkey14 based in the UK, the quality is impeccable. Unfortunately he does not seem to have any listings up at this time....

I know there is another guy from Europe on Facebook (look up: Vin Plate Khneisser) who makes a large variety of Honda replica frame tags, he posts a lot on CR fb groups. Look into him! 

Thanks man, I'm going to see if I can get that sticker made. It just makes the build look better. Those Applied Clamps look nice. I was lucky enough to find a brand new set of RG3 clamps from Italy for my 2007 CRF 250R build.

Electro21
Fantasy
67th
4/11/2024 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2024 9:24pm
JC116_MTL wrote:

Notable work:
-New MX33 tires
-New wheel bearings

Electro21 wrote:

JC116_MTL wrote:
Thanks! As for the frame sticker, I got them from eBay user hondamonkey14 based in the UK, the quality is impeccable. Unfortunately he does not seem...

I just bought them from Vin Plate Khneisser from your tips. I want build to look legit, the original stickers were rough and ground off. I've been looking to find these for several years!  Thanks!

4/11/2024 9:16pm
Rickyisms wrote:

Very intrigued to see the inside of that PV cover!

I agree, it would be interesting to see if the flapper and or cavity have been modified.

The 2 front tapped holes for the head's studs, enter the flapper valve cavity and are not sealed, OEM nuts are domed to stop leakage.

image-20240412140808-1

jmc2
Fantasy
1499th
4/17/2024 9:48pm

I found this close up photo (in my photobucket account) of the rear wheel taken at the Phx sx. 

JC116_MTL
5/2/2024 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 1 day ago

Hey all, time for another update. I acquired some really interesting parts.

I did it, I pulled the trigger. 

Showa 47mm A-KIT SUSPENSION!

A big thank you to a fellow forum member for selling them to me. These will absolutely take the build to the next level. 

And finally, one of my best friends found this lost gem for me: a custom round-barrel, stinger-tip FMF Titanium II silencer, *the* silencer that was on the bike back in the 2006 race season!!

Or at least, one of the silencers. The later version Titanium 2 silencer that came with this bike was clearly one that was modified to race with as well, but in the Youtube videos I was able to spot that this bike used the stinger version the races it partook in.

That's the update for now, the bike is still apart neatly stowed in boxes. Everything has been cleaned or vapour blasted and is ready to be put back together. I am selling another one of my bikes to fund the rest of this project; still need to build the wheels from scratch and do the graphics.

Rickyisms
1 day ago

That Ti-2 with the stinger is fucking bad ass! That style FMF decal brings back so much nostalgia. Sweet suspenders too!

1 day ago

Definitely looks like a PC silencer with a FMF sticker.

DV was running the exact same combo on the YZ's... (until 05 when the whole system was PC)

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3747th
1 day ago

Can't wait to see this one done.. Satellite  Honda team bikes are my favorite!

Rickyisms
1 day ago
Slack jaw wrote:
Definitely looks like a PC silencer with a FMF sticker.   DV was running the exact same combo on the YZ's... (until 05 when the whole...

DV was running the exact same combo on the YZ's... (until 05 when the whole system was PC)

That secondary bracket welded to the tip looks very PC’ish. Good eye. 

JC116_MTL
1 day ago
Slack jaw wrote:
Definitely looks like a PC silencer with a FMF sticker.   DV was running the exact same combo on the YZ's... (until 05 when the whole...

Good catch, you're the second person to have mentioned this, I think it is safe to assume it's a PC silencer

JC116_MTL
1 day ago

Can you post some pictures of the power valve and power valve cavity?

I definitely will once I start framing the bike, I'm very curious as well.

I did some digging around on facebook- and anywhere really.. found this post from a decade ago. 

Lucky Nichols, the manager of the former BooKoo race team, made this post about how a practice bike came back to the shop. Very impressive how so much work can go into a cylinder. It wouldn't be any different for this race bike as well. I heard he is no longer able to work due to health issues, very sad to hear. 

Here are also some screen grabs from this TRX quad forum I stumbled upon: back in 2010 this user claimed to be selling a practice bike from the team, and it quite honestly does look believable. Something tells me this bike below and the one above from the facebook post are two different bikes. I don't know how many CR250s they had in total, but would one race bike and a few practice bikes make sense?

If anyone has some insight please feel free to chime in. 

1 day ago Edited Date/Time 22 hours ago

Can you post some pictures of the power valve and power valve cavity?

JC116_MTL wrote:
I definitely will once I start framing the bike, I'm very curious as well. I did some digging around on facebook- and anywhere really.. found this...

I definitely will once I start framing the bike, I'm very curious as well.

I did some digging around on facebook- and anywhere really.. found this post from a decade ago. 

Lucky Nichols, the manager of the former BooKoo race team, made this post about how a practice bike came back to the shop. Very impressive how so much work can go into a cylinder. It wouldn't be any different for this race bike as well. I heard he is no longer able to work due to health issues, very sad to hear. 

Here are also some screen grabs from this TRX quad forum I stumbled upon: back in 2010 this user claimed to be selling a practice bike from the team, and it quite honestly does look believable. Something tells me this bike below and the one above from the facebook post are two different bikes. I don't know how many CR250s they had in total, but would one race bike and a few practice bikes make sense?

If anyone has some insight please feel free to chime in. 

The OEM exhaust valve was full width at the exhaust port, but was narrower back to the pivot...

image-20240509085444-2

Honda patented different exhaust valves that were the full width of the exhaust port and the same width or with a small taper back to the pivot...

image-20240509085253-1

Some had holes or slots to aid cooling...

image-20240509085755-3

image-20240509085824-4

image-20240509085849-5

image-20240509085921-6

These designs should create cleaner flow out of the exhaust port, and a stronger reflected pressure wave back into the exhaust port any time the exhaust valve is not fully open, I'm wondering if they used one of these designs.

seanmx57
20 hours ago

Going out on a limb here, I'll say those welded plug holes was to loose weight and prevent leaks. I just did my 05 and 07 motors the same way, those plugs are steel and heavy....

I'll have to check the engravings on mine, I think one is the same but not sure.

Most people tear a motor down to bare cases to vapor hone....

Post a reply to: Vuillemin BooKoo CR250 2005 actual Race Bike

The Latest