Best Quality MX gear

mx 219
Posts
4047
Joined
8/15/2010
Location
South Central, PA, USA
Edited Date/Time 3/29/2019 4:40am
Title says it all, if you were able to buy any gear (jersey, pants, gloves) based on quality, what are you getting?

Poll

Most durable brand of gear

Choices
2
|
Stuntman949
Posts
2857
Joined
11/10/2015
Location
San Clemente, CA, USA
3/27/2019 8:57am
Hard to kill some TLD
5
Casting
Posts
519
Joined
2/8/2017
Location
USA
3/27/2019 9:05am
I pay particular attention to durability of gloves...

Thor has always lasted a long time for me and Fox wears out quickly.
1
kb228
Posts
6153
Joined
1/31/2018
Location
Mansfield, OH, USA
3/27/2019 9:09am
Sad to say but the few no fear jerseys i got feel better built than my new thor and fly stuff. Just saying.
1
sandman768
Posts
8250
Joined
3/21/2014
Location
Saratoga Springs, NY, USA
3/27/2019 9:14am
Last few years I can’t get 5-6 rides out of a pair of gloves before they start tearing apart, maybe I hold on too tight?

The Shop

moto0852
Posts
943
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Draper, UT, USA
3/27/2019 9:25am
sandman768 wrote:
Last few years I can’t get 5-6 rides out of a pair of gloves before they start tearing apart, maybe I hold on too tight?
3
3/27/2019 9:32am
Thor IMO, but I hate the look in recent years.
I'm using Moose racing now, they have pretty good quality as far as I can tell right now (have only had it 2 sets for about 1 year)
Titan1
Posts
9477
Joined
2/3/2010
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
3/27/2019 9:41am
What does "best quality" mean?

most comfortable? (Very subjective)
Last the longest?
Look the best? (Very subjective)

So it's got to be longest lasting....

If its lasts the longest...have a look at the Klim Mohave or Dakar lines...pretty much bullet proof, I've got a set of Mohave that I've been wearing for 6 years.

Their XC line is more like the main stream gear companies...but still lasts longer.
2
mx 219
Posts
4047
Joined
8/15/2010
Location
South Central, PA, USA
3/27/2019 9:48am
Titan1 wrote:
What does "best quality" mean? most comfortable? (Very subjective) Last the longest? Look the best? (Very subjective) So it's got to be longest lasting.... If its...
What does "best quality" mean?

most comfortable? (Very subjective)
Last the longest?
Look the best? (Very subjective)

So it's got to be longest lasting....

If its lasts the longest...have a look at the Klim Mohave or Dakar lines...pretty much bullet proof, I've got a set of Mohave that I've been wearing for 6 years.

Their XC line is more like the main stream gear companies...but still lasts longer.
Durability...at no point in time does aesthetics play into best quality. Though I wont wear something that looks like a kindergartener painted it.
1
1
Red Crawford
Posts
312
Joined
12/28/2018
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
3/27/2019 9:56am
The Red Crawford's Garage Team Gear for 2019 pairs nicely with vintage dirt bikes!




5
dynex987
Posts
13
Joined
11/10/2018
Location
Ya momma, CO, USA
3/27/2019 10:13am
LBZ made in USA
2
1
DL
Posts
2627
Joined
8/20/2006
Location
Menifee, CA, USA
3/27/2019 10:23am
I might be a little biased but I’d throw Canvas MX in the list as well. They’ll be introducing a new custom pant that is premium quality. Here’s a photo of my one off kit.

6
6
Forty
Posts
3090
Joined
7/27/2009
Location
Saint Paul, MN, USA
3/27/2019 10:31am
I’ve always had good luck with whatever last years left over stuff is least expensive. Right now it’s Fly Racing.
2
1
Steve125
Posts
1415
Joined
11/24/2010
Location
USA
3/27/2019 10:46am
I bought some JT Gear for this season.. Every time I put on the jersey I hear some threads rip. pants seem good though.
Phillip_Lamb
Posts
2138
Joined
12/14/2010
Location
ORANGEVALE, CA, USA
3/27/2019 10:51am
mx 219 wrote:
Title says it all, if you were able to buy any gear (jersey, pants, gloves) based on quality, what are you getting?

i wouldnt say oneal has had the best styling but that shit lasts. i cant convice my wife to let me buy the new stuff cuz what i have is still good
motomojo
Posts
509
Joined
12/3/2015
Location
Kingman, AZ, USA
3/27/2019 11:11am
Sinisalo the best gear i have ever owned. Still have a couple gear sets from 90's still holding up well and the best fitting gear ever. Sadly no longer available in the states.
No Fear second to that. Have a bunch but pants are too big for me now lost some weight since the 90's. 36" to 32" waist.The Sinasalo pants i had taken in so i can still wear them.

As for whats available i like the fit of Fly gear seems to hold up well though i don't ride as much as before.
1
blockhead17
Posts
2884
Joined
6/13/2018
Location
Tokyo, JP
3/27/2019 11:15am
Seen Eli have 3 wardrobe malfunctions over the last 14 months..
Alpinestars, no ??
2
KVA_536
Posts
91
Joined
4/5/2017
Location
Alto, MI, USA
3/27/2019 11:38am
Other than my Ti Pegs tearing my leg open, the TLD stuff has been holding up the best by far. After selling gear for 3 years Ive tried just about every major brand, and TLD hands down wins it. Durability & Style, they win
foreman52
Posts
633
Joined
5/29/2018
Location
CA
3/27/2019 11:50am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 11:52am
When JS7 was with Answer I wore a lot of their gear. Still have it to this day with no rips or tears. Quite a bit heavier than the other gear that was on the market at the time but it was well made. Be interested to see how their new stuff compares.

Always personally hated Thor. Felt cheap.

Been wearing Fox since 16. I have had nothing but great luck with it (180 and 360 sets). Very light and durable.
c0ncEpT
Posts
1319
Joined
5/13/2015
Location
Harrison Twp., MI, USA
3/27/2019 12:44pm
All of the super light weight stuff doesn't last. I'm ok with it because you have to sacrifice durability for weight and breathablity IMO.
DEMONDAVE
Posts
676
Joined
9/6/2013
Location
Apple Valley, CA, USA
3/27/2019 1:17pm
just got the new fox 180 Sabbath kit , light weight well vented , good fit form and function so far , only complaint glove wrist cuffs tighter than I like but they'll stretch out I'm hoping.
agn5009
Posts
6747
Joined
6/8/2012
Location
State College, PA, USA
3/27/2019 1:54pm
I’ve had almost every brand throughout the years and I’m always impressed with the quality of Moose. They make some really good gear.
Motofinne
Posts
11599
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
FI
3/27/2019 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2019 1:44am
The gear industry has taken big steps forward the last 5 years so i'll only bring up the gear that i have used in this time.

Fox, Alpinestars and Thor.

I think the Alpinestars (both Techstar and Racer) has been overall the best. Not the most athletic fit but at the same time not too baggy and old school while the durability has been good.

Fox 360(2015) and Flexair: 360 was decent, fitment a bit like Alpinestars Techstar but not as good ventilation and durability. Flexair fitment is top notch but the leather in the knees wasn't on par with Alpinestars and it is expensive (you pay for performance).

Thor Primefit 2017. Decent quality, the jersey could be lighter and the leather pad on the knee was way too big = no strech in the knee area.


I have 2019 Alpinestars Supertech and Techstar on the way. Supertech is the gear that all the pros are in right now and it is Alpinestars "athletic" fit gear, it will be fun to try it out. And the Techstar pant seems to be all new for 2019 so that will be interesting too.

Edit: The Current 360 and Primefit(called Prime Pro) are updated so my experience with these sets aren't that up to date.
1
Gandorlf
Posts
537
Joined
6/17/2016
Location
GB
3/27/2019 2:08pm
Got a set of Fox 360 (Premium) in 2016 that is still going strong with only a small hole in the calf. The gloves are still in great condition too no rips or holes.

Got a set of Thor Sector (Budget) after Christmas and 3 rides in already has a hole in the knee. My other half got me a pair of FIST gloves which are by far the best I've ever used comfort wise but after 5 rides they've ripped at the thumb.
Spooner
Posts
2483
Joined
1/8/2011
Location
Kansas City, MO, USA
3/27/2019 6:53pm
Motofinne wrote:
The gear industry has taken big steps forward the last 5 years so i'll only bring up the gear that i have used in this time...
The gear industry has taken big steps forward the last 5 years so i'll only bring up the gear that i have used in this time.

Fox, Alpinestars and Thor.

I think the Alpinestars (both Techstar and Racer) has been overall the best. Not the most athletic fit but at the same time not too baggy and old school while the durability has been good.

Fox 360(2015) and Flexair: 360 was decent, fitment a bit like Alpinestars Techstar but not as good ventilation and durability. Flexair fitment is top notch but the leather in the knees wasn't on par with Alpinestars and it is expensive (you pay for performance).

Thor Primefit 2017. Decent quality, the jersey could be lighter and the leather pad on the knee was way too big = no strech in the knee area.


I have 2019 Alpinestars Supertech and Techstar on the way. Supertech is the gear that all the pros are in right now and it is Alpinestars "athletic" fit gear, it will be fun to try it out. And the Techstar pant seems to be all new for 2019 so that will be interesting too.

Edit: The Current 360 and Primefit(called Prime Pro) are updated so my experience with these sets aren't that up to date.
Have you tried out any of the Prime Pro stuff yet? Fixes everything you mentioned on the fit stuff.

I’d love to try some supertech gear..
r18b
Posts
240
Joined
7/13/2017
Location
NL
3/28/2019 12:27am
Fox-Fasthouse-Troy lee.

Like all three for the quality and looks , Lot of gear are to thick and to stiff.
Got for the lady the TLD ultra adidas and it's a bunch of money but it's top notch. TLD and Fasthouse are the only brands what will fit her like it should.
Cortami79
Posts
2012
Joined
1/11/2016
Location
NL
3/28/2019 1:01am
I had some sets in 2013 as well and the quality was really good.

I ride with Seven now. The Rival line holds better then the Zero line for me.


chump6784
Posts
1776
Joined
5/9/2011
Location
AU
3/28/2019 1:06am
Used to wear oneal back in the late 90's to mid 2000's, that stuff wore really well. When I got back into riding in 08 I found some Fly Evolution gear on closeout and picked it up. It was great until I went over the bars and caught my knee on the end of the bar and ripped a hole in my pants. Got some Fly Kinetic gear and have been wearing it for over a year and just starting to see some wear in it now. I thought with how vented it was compared to the oneal stuff it wouldn't hold up but I've been impressed with it
Motofinne
Posts
11599
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
FI
3/28/2019 1:41am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2019 2:19am
Motofinne wrote:
The gear industry has taken big steps forward the last 5 years so i'll only bring up the gear that i have used in this time...
The gear industry has taken big steps forward the last 5 years so i'll only bring up the gear that i have used in this time.

Fox, Alpinestars and Thor.

I think the Alpinestars (both Techstar and Racer) has been overall the best. Not the most athletic fit but at the same time not too baggy and old school while the durability has been good.

Fox 360(2015) and Flexair: 360 was decent, fitment a bit like Alpinestars Techstar but not as good ventilation and durability. Flexair fitment is top notch but the leather in the knees wasn't on par with Alpinestars and it is expensive (you pay for performance).

Thor Primefit 2017. Decent quality, the jersey could be lighter and the leather pad on the knee was way too big = no strech in the knee area.


I have 2019 Alpinestars Supertech and Techstar on the way. Supertech is the gear that all the pros are in right now and it is Alpinestars "athletic" fit gear, it will be fun to try it out. And the Techstar pant seems to be all new for 2019 so that will be interesting too.

Edit: The Current 360 and Primefit(called Prime Pro) are updated so my experience with these sets aren't that up to date.
Spooner wrote:
Have you tried out any of the Prime Pro stuff yet? Fixes everything you mentioned on the fit stuff.

I’d love to try some supertech gear..
No unfortunately not, although i got my hands on a set earlier this year at an exhibition and it seems to be a step forward compared to the first gen Prime Fit!
nascarnate326
Posts
3008
Joined
11/3/2014
Location
Charlotte, MI, USA
3/28/2019 1:47am
I have several different brands and the TLD gear just feels higher quality. Highly impressive. Only thing I don’t like is the sleeves are too long IMO. Fox and Thor have held up well, but TLD gets my vote.
1
Motofinne
Posts
11599
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
FI
3/28/2019 1:51am
I would love to try Fly some day. Unfortunately the dealer that i get everything i buy from doesn't sell Fly.

Post a reply to: Best Quality MX gear

The Latest