2024 YZ 250F Review

brocsdad

I see all the comments about the 24 so I decided to share our review of the 24. My son picked up his 24 YZ 250F about 3 weeks ago. He paid 8999 OTD. 

He has practiced on the bike a few times and raced the Mini O’s last week. We have a 22 to compare the bikes back to back.

Out of the box the 24 has less bottom and more mid and top. Though you can change the mapping to the Responsive Map and regain the low end. My son prefers the Stevie Map or the Keefer free feeling. They both add power overall with more bottom and top. This motor still rules the 250F class.

The rider triangle is better and my son mentioned it corners like a Suzuki. The slimmer ergos feel and look better. You may or may not like the rounded seat. I understand the theory but I’m thinking we will go with a Guts Racing Flat seat soon.

The front forks seemed be softer or blow through the stroke. He wanted to take the forks off the old bike which I’m riding but we had FC revalve the fork at Mini O’s and now they are great.

An FMF slip on will also be on the list. The stocker is quite loud or raspy!

It’s a better bike for sure but it’s not groundbreaking compared to the 21 thru 23. If you can find one at a decent price go for it but I wouldn’t pay over 9500.

IMG 6385.jpeg?VersionId=dCIspfGeCG0oFqTgMe.pipjH

IMG 6372

|
AH387
11/28/2023 8:53pm

Nice review. Glad to hear some real world feedback. So no issues with twitchyness or any tinkering to get the chassis sorted? The fork getting work done was more just about being soft than anything handling related? Glad the maps seem to fix some of the complaints about the engine. Lastly, in general I'm not a big fan of the new plastics but yours does look very cool. Thanks for the write-up.

brocsdad
11/28/2023 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2023 9:12pm
AH387 wrote:
Nice review. Glad to hear some real world feedback. So no issues with twitchyness or any tinkering to get the chassis sorted? The fork getting work...

Nice review. Glad to hear some real world feedback. So no issues with twitchyness or any tinkering to get the chassis sorted? The fork getting work done was more just about being soft than anything handling related? Glad the maps seem to fix some of the complaints about the engine. Lastly, in general I'm not a big fan of the new plastics but yours does look very cool. Thanks for the write-up.

It’s not as stable as the old bike because it’s more rigid which helps turning. Though it doesn’t do anything weird. It’s still more stable than the Honda. 

My son said the exact same thing the test riders were saying that the fork felt soft or would blow through on bigger hits. You can turn the compression in 2-3 clicks and it helps but it’s not the fix. Don’t get me wrong the fork is good it’s just not as good as the previous. Run the fork height at 2.5mm.

I love the new plastic. So easy to apply graphics with the smoother lines.

I’m hoping Twisted has s Vortex soon. We have one on the other bike but they changed the mounts etc so it doesn’t work. That made a huge difference on the 21-23 models.

dfr136
Fantasy
917th
11/29/2023 6:20pm

What is the Stevie map? 

The Shop

dfr136
Fantasy
917th
11/30/2023 7:43am
brocsdad wrote:
  The Responsive and Stevie Maps are listed in the article below. https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2024-yamaha-yz250f-first-impression/ Make sure to change the TH% on the left side.  Any questions let...

Stevie Map

The Responsive and Stevie Maps are listed in the article below.

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2024-yamaha-yz250f-first-impression/

Make sure to change the TH% on the left side. 

Any questions let me know.

How’s it compare to the free feeling or tp connected feel. 

usafwx
11/30/2023 8:30am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2023 8:32am

I got mine about a month ago and 3 rides in, one of the first ones so paid $9999 cash for it, oh well, price to have the first I guess. My experience after trying a 2023 CRF250R and having owned a 2019 YZ250F and 2017CRF250R. The 2024 is so much easier to ride than the 2019 was, the rider cockpit is world's better and the bike is pretty much point and shoot. Suspension is softer than the 2023 Honda as expected and the chassis is so much more compliant, the Honda was a nightmare for me to ride, just not compliant and never seemed planted or settled even after having FC revalve. The YZ has been comfortable straight out of the box. The seat didnt bother me, though my thigh area was a bit more sore than usual but didnt notice while riding. The power is much more complaint to me than the Honda was though I've been using the linear map, for an old vet guy after a 5 year hiatus this bike checks all the boxes. 

brocsdad
11/30/2023 8:50am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2023 8:54am
brocsdad wrote:
  The Responsive and Stevie Maps are listed in the article below. https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2024-yamaha-yz250f-first-impression/ Make sure to change the TH% on the left side.  Any questions let...

Stevie Map

The Responsive and Stevie Maps are listed in the article below.

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2024-yamaha-yz250f-first-impression/

Make sure to change the TH% on the left side. 

Any questions let me know.

dfr136 wrote:

How’s it compare to the free feeling or tp connected feel. 

The Stevie is very similar with a little more engine braking.

The TP map was in the older models and not for the 24.

For 24 you have the following:

1). Keefer Aggressive

2). Keefer Free Feeling

3). Responsive (Regains low end of previous years but harder hitting)

4). Stevie - (Yamaha Employee at Test Track)

brocsdad
11/30/2023 8:59am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2023 12:26pm
usafwx wrote:
I got mine about a month ago and 3 rides in, one of the first ones so paid $9999 cash for it, oh well, price to...

I got mine about a month ago and 3 rides in, one of the first ones so paid $9999 cash for it, oh well, price to have the first I guess. My experience after trying a 2023 CRF250R and having owned a 2019 YZ250F and 2017CRF250R. The 2024 is so much easier to ride than the 2019 was, the rider cockpit is world's better and the bike is pretty much point and shoot. Suspension is softer than the 2023 Honda as expected and the chassis is so much more compliant, the Honda was a nightmare for me to ride, just not compliant and never seemed planted or settled even after having FC revalve. The YZ has been comfortable straight out of the box. The seat didnt bother me, though my thigh area was a bit more sore than usual but didnt notice while riding. The power is much more complaint to me than the Honda was though I've been using the linear map, for an old vet guy after a 5 year hiatus this bike checks all the boxes. 

My son has rode all the bikes including the Honda. On the Honda he complained about the front forks, lack of stability and overall harsh or rigid feeling.

On the YZF his only complaint was the front fork. It was good but not as good or rideable as the previous model. So we had it re-valved for $280 at Mini O's.

Try the Maps I listed to clean up the bottom end and gain some top.

usafwx
11/30/2023 11:28am
brocsdad wrote:
My son has rode all the bikes including the Honda. On the Honda he complained about the front forks, lack of stability and overall harsh or...

My son has rode all the bikes including the Honda. On the Honda he complained about the front forks, lack of stability and overall harsh or rigid feeling.

On the YZF his only complaint was the front fork. It was good but not as good or rideable as the previous model. So we had it re-valved for $280 at Mini O's.

Off topic, but are you all running an aftermarket air filter? My Twin Air doesnt seem right, they said same part number and selling it as the 2023 YZ450F but just seems too big and not a perfect seal. 

brocsdad
11/30/2023 12:25pm
brocsdad wrote:
My son has rode all the bikes including the Honda. On the Honda he complained about the front forks, lack of stability and overall harsh or...

usafwx wrote:
Off topic, but are you all running an aftermarket air filter? My Twin Air doesnt seem right, they said same part number and selling it as...

Off topic, but are you all running an aftermarket air filter? My Twin Air doesnt seem right, they said same part number and selling it as the 2023 YZ450F but just seems too big and not a perfect seal. 

The Twin Air should fit. 

We bought the DT-1 Screen elimination kit but the stock filter fits.

The great thing is it's just the cage and nothing to remove and install.

mb60
11/30/2023 12:28pm

Thanks for the honest review. The media makes this bike out to be national caliber bike out of the crate. 

usafwx
11/30/2023 1:37pm
brocsdad wrote:
The Twin Air should fit.  We bought the DT-1 Screen elimination kit but the stock filter fits. The great thing is it's just the cage and...

The Twin Air should fit. 

It fits just seems off compared to stock especially with the piece by the tank that supports it. 

usafwx
11/30/2023 1:38pm
mb60 wrote:

Thanks for the honest review. The media makes this bike out to be national caliber bike out of the crate. 

I mean it was better than the current gen CRF I had and better than my 19 YZ250F, is it revolutionary, no but it’s the best in the class and a nice evolution to the platform. 

brocsdad
12/1/2023 9:56am
brocsdad wrote:
The Twin Air should fit.  We bought the DT-1 Screen elimination kit but the stock filter fits. The great thing is it's just the cage and...

The Twin Air should fit. 

usafwx wrote:

It fits just seems off compared to stock especially with the piece by the tank that supports it. 

Do you have a pic you could share?

brocsdad
12/1/2023 10:10am
mb60 wrote:

usafwx wrote:
I mean it was better than the current gen CRF I had and better than my 19 YZ250F, is it revolutionary, no but it’s the best...

I mean it was better than the current gen CRF I had and better than my 19 YZ250F, is it revolutionary, no but it’s the best in the class and a nice evolution to the platform. 

Yes, it's the best bike out of the box. If we were to switch brands I would lean towards the KTM but it's pricey to convert or fix the front forks. We also have a relationship with the Yamaha dealers and they cost us less. The KTM would have been close to 2K more.

As far as motor mods the YZF is more expensive because you need to upgrade parts inside the motor when you start throwing HP at it. I'm sure the new cam chain helps but the crank and valve train need upgrades. The KTM can be modded and retain a lot of the stock parts. 

Remember at the end of the day it's still the rider so pick whatever brand you are comfortable with. I've witnessed 125's pull the holeshot against 250's and 450's at qualifiers smoking the field.

usafwx
12/3/2023 10:53am
brocsdad wrote:

Do you have a pic you could share?

IMG 6886 0 Figured it out, dumb a** me didn’t realize the back filter holder piece slides under the black piece by the seat. Thanks. 

MotoX85
12/3/2023 6:48pm

I rode one at a Yamaha demo event.  I own a 23 and 24 YZ450 and at 6ft 3in, 235 lbs, I really cant ride a 250F without the thing falling over from exhaustion from hauling my big ass around.

But I'm here to tell you that thing is incredible.  Fastest 250 I've ever rode.  Have NO CLUE of the "mystery bog" on the bottom that MXA has wrote about and can easily say I could be happy with the bike with a good aftermarket pipe.  I was blown away with the engine and this was at the end of the day and the bike had been ridden all day non stop.

Highly recommend people check them out if you are in the 250F market before you buy.

Also, I've rode a 23 and older YZ250F and my impression was I was glad to be riding a 450 cause the 250F was just not enough for me.......... well the 2024 had me thinking

adamw21
12/4/2023 12:01am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2023 8:37pm
MotoX85 wrote:
I rode one at a Yamaha demo event.  I own a 23 and 24 YZ450 and at 6ft 3in, 235 lbs, I really cant ride a...

I rode one at a Yamaha demo event.  I own a 23 and 24 YZ450 and at 6ft 3in, 235 lbs, I really cant ride a 250F without the thing falling over from exhaustion from hauling my big ass around.

But I'm here to tell you that thing is incredible.  Fastest 250 I've ever rode.  Have NO CLUE of the "mystery bog" on the bottom that MXA has wrote about and can easily say I could be happy with the bike with a good aftermarket pipe.  I was blown away with the engine and this was at the end of the day and the bike had been ridden all day non stop.

Highly recommend people check them out if you are in the 250F market before you buy.

Also, I've rode a 23 and older YZ250F and my impression was I was glad to be riding a 450 cause the 250F was just not enough for me.......... well the 2024 had me thinking

The 21+ and 24 have the exact same power plant 😂. Besides wider  cam gears and crank gear which would make no more or less power.  Sounds like someone is making stories 

Vet57
12/4/2023 2:48am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2023 2:48am
MotoX85 wrote:
I rode one at a Yamaha demo event.  I own a 23 and 24 YZ450 and at 6ft 3in, 235 lbs, I really cant ride a...

adamw21 wrote:
The 21+ and 24 have the exact same power plant 😂. Besides wider  cam gears and crank gear which would make no more or less power...

The 21+ and 24 have the exact same power plant 😂. Besides wider  cam gears and crank gear which would make no more or less power.  Sounds like someone is making stories 

Interesting because there is lots of info describing more power but with only internal change being a more robust cam chain hard to figure why. Had a 21' so when 24' arrives guess I'll form my own opinion.

AH387
12/4/2023 7:31am
MotoX85 wrote:

No offense but this all seems very unlikely. 

I hate when this type of stuff happens. People get so caught up in the new hype and just start saying crazy stuff. It's the same engine, aside from the intake tract, cam chain/gear and ecu settings. And most ppl say the 23 has more snap but 24 pulls a bit farther (mostly intake/airbox related.) 

usafwx
12/4/2023 9:31am
AH387 wrote:
No offense but this all seems very unlikely.  I hate when this type of stuff happens. People get so caught up in the new hype and...

No offense but this all seems very unlikely. 

I hate when this type of stuff happens. People get so caught up in the new hype and just start saying crazy stuff. It's the same engine, aside from the intake tract, cam chain/gear and ecu settings. And most ppl say the 23 has more snap but 24 pulls a bit farther (mostly intake/airbox related.) 

The engine characteristics to me as a vet guy are similar to my 2019, for me the chassis is where the difference is. 

Zycki11
12/4/2023 9:43am

I suspect Yamaha will have some sort of engine update in the next 1-2 years on the 250f.  Its a damn shame i won't be able to try one of these new bikes out. They look incredible and would be fun to get right. 

AH387
12/4/2023 9:50am
usafwx wrote:

The engine characteristics to me as a vet guy are similar to my 2019, for me the chassis is where the difference is. 

That's pretty much what I would expect. And that is a fair assessment. 

I guess I just wanted to point out that we are coming here for real world reviews but someone saying the 23 and prior didn't have enough power but the 24 blows you away, just doesn't make sense when the engine is basically the same. 

usafwx
12/4/2023 9:57am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2023 10:18am
AH387 wrote:
That's pretty much what I would expect. And that is a fair assessment.  I guess I just wanted to point out that we are coming here...

That's pretty much what I would expect. And that is a fair assessment. 

I guess I just wanted to point out that we are coming here for real world reviews but someone saying the 23 and prior didn't have enough power but the 24 blows you away, just doesn't make sense when the engine is basically the same. 

Agree. Whole heartedly it’s the new thing brain wash thing. I love mine but it’s not a way better bike than the 23 by any means, just a slight evolution and for me where it matters (the turning/handling and rider cockpit). 

brocsdad
12/4/2023 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2023 12:27pm
MotoX85 wrote:

adamw21 wrote:
The 21+ and 24 have the exact same power plant 😂. Besides wider  cam gears and crank gear which would make no more or less power...

The base design of the motor is the same but the airbox, cam, cam chain and mapping are different.

The 24 is stronger mid thru top than 23 with a Twisted Vortex, screen elimination kit and FMF slip on.

Lbarton2287
2/5/2024 3:08pm
MotoX85 wrote:

adamw21 wrote:

brocsdad wrote:
The base design of the motor is the same but the airbox, cam, cam chain and mapping are different. The 24 is stronger mid thru top...

The base design of the motor is the same but the airbox, cam, cam chain and mapping are different.

The 24 is stronger mid thru top than 23 with a Twisted Vortex, screen elimination kit and FMF slip on.

Hello! just following up on the bike and durability wise how she's holding up? how often have you needed to change out the clutch, check the valves, replace top end, etc..? thank you!

07stuntin6r
3/23/2024 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2024 6:44pm

Looking at the new 24 yz250F after my 21 250fx 4th gear took a crap at 65hrs vet rider. Curious if that has something to do with mx’ing a 6sp HS bike either way contemplating the 24 yz or 24kx transmission does give me some questions tho on reliability 

MXer391
4/19/2024 9:44am

I was kicking around the idea of getting one but ended up not pulling the trigger yet as I haven't rode one. I didn't like the idea of shelling out $1500 for the 450 airbox and Vortex ECU either. I have talked to a couple friends who have them and they all said basically the same thing as the magazine reviews and what's pointed out in this thread by the OP. I may wait to see if they make any small changes to the '25 model but I have a feeling they won't. 

4/19/2024 11:02am
MotoX85 wrote:

adamw21 wrote:

There is variance between same models, some are OK while others are really good. (All mfgr's,not just Yamaha)
I've experienced this first hand and also heard reports from some teams of up to 5hp difference between their new stock bikes.

Post a reply to: 2024 YZ 250F Review

The Latest