2024 YZ 250F Review

BoxcarWilly
Fantasy
4034th
4/19/2024 11:38am

I raced mine for the first time last weekend. Quite enjoyed it. I've had (or raced) a 2021 YZ250FX, 2022 YZ250F and a 2023 YZ250FX before this. 

I only had 1 hour of break in on the bike before the race. So this was it's first real test.  Stock bike minus ODI bars and an FMF slip on. 

Pros:

Turns SO good. Reminiscent of my old Suzuki's. Huge improvement. I lowered the forks to flush for this sand track and the bike was fantastic. 

Suspension, as good as ever. I'm a 170lbs A rider and it felt good for me. Probably would be stiff for a beginner.

Somehow also really good on fuel. 

Durability is great, wheels required no tightening. Chain and sprockets are great, all of the bolts are good still. I've seen some other manufactures cut cost in this area since covid.

Cons:

Bottom end isn't as strong as previous generations. I'm going to try going up one tooth to the rear. I think this will help me ignore the loss of bottom end. It has great mid and top end power. I might try a GTYR heavier flywheel too. 

Mapping (at least with the FMF) isn't as easy to dial in as I'd have hoped. I ended up racing all 0s. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually then. 

No description available.

BoxcarWilly
Fantasy
4034th
4/19/2024 11:40am

Also, the seat is really hard on your ass. I race off-road and lots of MTB stuff too, so I'm pretty seasoned. My gooch was howling after 4 motos. 

07stuntin6r
4/19/2024 12:48pm

I got the new 24 yz250f and I like it a lot. I’ve heard about low end also currently working on cutting some holes on my intake cover to let more air in I’ll try it out this weekend along with diff maps. Overall compared to my FX with DT1 air filter/cage kit and full fmf I don’t notice a difference. I do notice it revs out more and seems like it can go further in 3rd. My fx was running a 13/52 vs the 24 13/49 for reference. 

07stuntin6r
4/19/2024 12:51pm
Also, the seat is really hard on your ass. I race off-road and lots of MTB stuff too, so I'm pretty seasoned. My gooch was howling...

Also, the seat is really hard on your ass. I race off-road and lots of MTB stuff too, so I'm pretty seasoned. My gooch was howling after 4 motos. 

Seat feels fine to me don’t really notice it at all….i did switch to a guts hard seat on my fx tho so maybe my taint got used to it lol. Also I’ve only ridden the bike with NSA Enzo setup suspension for 160lb rider and only swapped the rear shock to a heavier spring. I’ve since swapped over my valved forks and shock for my 200lb self so it could be even better than it has been so far. 

The Shop

4/19/2024 1:39pm
I raced mine for the first time last weekend. Quite enjoyed it. I've had (or raced) a 2021 YZ250FX, 2022 YZ250F and a 2023 YZ250FX before...

I raced mine for the first time last weekend. Quite enjoyed it. I've had (or raced) a 2021 YZ250FX, 2022 YZ250F and a 2023 YZ250FX before this. 

I only had 1 hour of break in on the bike before the race. So this was it's first real test.  Stock bike minus ODI bars and an FMF slip on. 

Pros:

Turns SO good. Reminiscent of my old Suzuki's. Huge improvement. I lowered the forks to flush for this sand track and the bike was fantastic. 

Suspension, as good as ever. I'm a 170lbs A rider and it felt good for me. Probably would be stiff for a beginner.

Somehow also really good on fuel. 

Durability is great, wheels required no tightening. Chain and sprockets are great, all of the bolts are good still. I've seen some other manufactures cut cost in this area since covid.

Cons:

Bottom end isn't as strong as previous generations. I'm going to try going up one tooth to the rear. I think this will help me ignore the loss of bottom end. It has great mid and top end power. I might try a GTYR heavier flywheel too. 

Mapping (at least with the FMF) isn't as easy to dial in as I'd have hoped. I ended up racing all 0s. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually then. 

No description available.

Did you try it with the stock exhaust? Curious on your thoughts compared to FMF.

Also, feel free to send me a DM if you want any guidance on mapping. I spent a few months learning the tool and feeling the changes, it converted me from someone who thought it was a marketing gimmick to really appreciating the capabilities.

BoxcarWilly
Fantasy
4034th
4/21/2024 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2024 1:51pm

Rode the bike again today. Did a few drills and then play rode. 

I tried the Stevie map and it was A LOT better. Really happy with it. I added a bit more fuel up top due to the pipe and it worked out good. I have the forks flush and prefer that so far. Handlebars in the furthest back position.

Despite the toll it takes on my ass, the new seat is better for getting over onto the side of it. 

I cannot understate how much better the bike handles compared to the previous gen. It turns so much better it’s crazy. 

07stuntin6r
4/21/2024 2:40pm
Rode the bike again today. Did a few drills and then play rode.    I tried the Stevie map and it was A LOT better. Really...

I tried the Stevie map and it was A LOT better. Really happy with it. I added a bit more fuel up top due to the pipe and it worked out good. I have the forks flush and prefer that so far. Handlebars in the furthest back position.

Despite the toll it takes on my ass, the new seat is better for getting over onto the side of it. 

I cannot understate how much better the bike handles compared to the previous gen. It turns so much better it’s crazy. 

I can agree it does handle better. Holes in airbox didn’t seem to do much maybe even hurt bottom end. Tried keefer 2.0 free feeling and it maybe helped a little but not enough for me to have to slip the clutch more. Thinking of pulling the plug on the twin air power flow as I can’t splurge on the TD kit yet. 

4/21/2024 2:51pm
Rode the bike again today. Did a few drills and then play rode.    I tried the Stevie map and it was A LOT better. Really...

I can agree it does handle better. Holes in airbox didn’t seem to do much maybe even hurt bottom end. Tried keefer 2.0 free feeling and...

I can agree it does handle better. Holes in airbox didn’t seem to do much maybe even hurt bottom end. Tried keefer 2.0 free feeling and it maybe helped a little but not enough for me to have to slip the clutch more. Thinking of pulling the plug on the twin air power flow as I can’t splurge on the TD kit yet. 

Mitch from PC said they lost the bottom end due to the airbox being bigger so the volume of air going into the motor is to great for the engine set up. I think along the lines of the air going in has lost velocity?????

I think MXA have the interview of it.

07stuntin6r
4/21/2024 6:12pm

I can agree it does handle better. Holes in airbox didn’t seem to do much maybe even hurt bottom end. Tried keefer 2.0 free feeling and...

Mitch from PC said they lost the bottom end due to the airbox being bigger so the volume of air going into the motor is to...

Mitch from PC said they lost the bottom end due to the airbox being bigger so the volume of air going into the motor is to great for the engine set up. I think along the lines of the air going in has lost velocity?????

I think MXA have the interview of it.

Well I realized I’m running a 49 rear it’s what came on the bike thought that was stock realized stocks a 50 gonna try  that next time since I got one laying around. 

4/22/2024 6:28am

May want to try increasing the ignition timing (+3) while decreasing the Fuel (-2) around the 5% throttle position and 1500-2000 rpm range.

To simplify the mapping tool, Fuel seems to manipulate a smooth torque like power, as where Ignition impacts responsiveness. That's a good general rule to help with testing and getting the bike set up to suit your riding style.

I suspect your bike has the pulling power you want but the all 0's map is too soft down low.

If you only manipulate below ~5000rpm range then it will not have much or any change on mid/top range characteristics.

Make sure to change the Values on the Y axis, 0, 5, 15, 40 TH%, on the X axis something like 1000,1500,3000, 5000.
(I was surprised to feel that manipulating RPM <idle speed actually had an impact on throttle response and low end pull, crazy world we live in Shocked)

YamaLink
4/27/2024 8:40am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2024 8:44am
Also, the seat is really hard on your ass. I race off-road and lots of MTB stuff too, so I'm pretty seasoned. My gooch was howling...

May demo one today, and your comment already has me thinking of a Seat Concepts option. I race endurance mtb as well, and embrace the gooch pain, but this bike's seat seems to be universally panned. 

Don't know if I can change maps on the demo. Maybe the bike needs to be registered and paired with my phone? I usually change sprockets, but this demo will just be sag, tire psi, do my best with bar and lever position, and clickers in the middle.

07stuntin6r
4/27/2024 9:05am

YamaLink wrote:
May demo one today, and your comment already has me thinking of a Seat Concepts option. I race endurance mtb as well, and embrace the gooch...

May demo one today, and your comment already has me thinking of a Seat Concepts option. I race endurance mtb as well, and embrace the gooch pain, but this bike's seat seems to be universally panned. 

Don't know if I can change maps on the demo. Maybe the bike needs to be registered and paired with my phone? I usually change sprockets, but this demo will just be sag, tire psi, do my best with bar and lever position, and clickers in the middle.

Loving mine, still don’t see the problem with the seat it will soften over time added a guts rj wing on mine see how this does. 

BoxcarWilly
Fantasy
4034th
4/27/2024 2:38pm

The seat is just super stiff. It reminds me of the old KTM seats. I like the curve in it because it allows you to shift from side to side much easier. 

lumpy790
4/28/2024 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2024 4:12am
Think the cover came out pretty clean!

Is your gas cap hose our Teal hose? The Blue color looks like a lighter Blue Teal color.

07stuntin6r
4/28/2024 1:13pm

lumpy790 wrote:

Is your gas cap hose our Teal hose? The Blue color looks like a lighter Blue Teal color.

Teal?

BoxcarWilly
Fantasy
4034th
4/28/2024 5:41pm

The more I ride it, the more I like it. Stevie map was a big help. Rode a million laps on my sand practice track today. 

Post a reply to: 2024 YZ 250F Review

The Latest